Chapter Eight: What Lies Beneath the Surface

My vision was blurred as I came in and out of unconsciousness. I knew I wouldn’t be in in the school or anywhere I was expected. Sam would make sure that I was in a secure location where he could have his piercing eyes on me always. That was the scariest thought that came across me as I continued to fight against this never ending darkness.

I instantly stopped fighting to open my eyes when I heard soft whispers of three people. These could be my last day here. They could do unbelievable things to me and make me feel useless and used. Sam may do what he wants now.

Not to my surprise, I heard Sam speaking close to the bed I was on. “She will be out of it for awhile. We don’t need to worry about her escaping till then.” He came up to the bed and sat right by my stomach making the bed squeal in protest. I tried to make myself relax and keep my sleeping position, but it became hard as Sam kissed my lips. I supposed he was making sure that I was still knocked unconscious. He didn’t want anymore surprises.

“Sam, she isn’t awake yet. You don’t need to do that in front of me,” spoke a familiar voice.

Anna.

“Yes, I do. I want you to see that this is what you are missing.” Sam was getting cocky and Anna would’ve already blown up. She never let me get away with insulting her, not that I ever did. “Biyan is waiting for you. Ginger is safe, so you can go.”

I could hear that Anna was getting closer to the bed, thus getting up in Sam’s face. She wasn’t going to stand by in the shadows and let Sam tell her what to do. A sudden white light erupted in the room and I had to squeeze my eyes tightly shut to protect them. Something or someone tumbled to the floor and started making the floor boards creak.

“Stop. Both of you!”

The creaking sound stopped and three people entered in this conversation. “How is this helping Ginger? Sam? Anna?”

Sam sat back down on the bed and started stroking my arm in comforting circles. Shivers shot down my arm and made my finger tips feel like they were popping. What is Sam’s issue with always touching me?

Anna spoke with confidence, “I am truly sorry, Mr. Noelnder. I just don’t fully trust Sam, yet.” She was apologizing for Sam. Why? He most likely started the confutation. Then it hit my like Frank’s kicks-- Mr. Noelnder was in here too. He was in with Sam.

“Then don’t ever do that again!” proclaimed Sam, who now took over my shoulders. I couldn’t control myself, I flinched back in pain, but continued to keep my eyes shut. A warm tear ran down my cold face and onto the bed covers.

Anna’s voice sounded worried and shook a little as she witnessed my tear. “She cried. Is she awake?” Sam’s breath bounced off my neck and lower part of my face and inspected me.

“No. She’s asleep.”

They didn’t figure it out. Thank you, God. Now what was I to do? Eventually I would have to wake up, not to mention go to the bathroom.

“What are we going to do with her? She has already gained one of them. They will come after her now. They know she exists,” whispered Anna, sounding scared. That frightened me a lot; Anna is never scared, ever. She is the strongest and least frightened person she had ever met. And who knows I exist? Am I in danger? I bet it is because of Sam.

Sam shifted onto the bed, now laying completely against my length. He must have been looking at me because I could feel his eyes on me. I had to keep my cool and remain docile. Any movement could trigger him to hurt me. I didn’t need that right now; I’m still sore from Frank’s belting episode. Sam was to trigger happy to make any fatal attempts to escape at the moment.