Section 2 - Article 12

Article 12 - 10 tips on how to read the Bible

1) Read the Old Testament (OT) first. Everything has a context and a background. Know that while the story focuses on Israel and the Jews, it is still applicable to the rest of the world on a metaphysical plane – especially considering the New Testament (NT), when Christians are grafted into God's chosen people. Therefore in a sense, the OT is the history record of believers and all of mankind and creation.

2) Everything should be looked on 3 planes: 1) Physical implications; 2) Spiritual implications; 3) Time implication. In time, and I mean in context, and also in application to present times. Whilst many things can be interpreted in modern day context, it is very important to look at the context during the time when it was written.

3) The whole paragraph/letter/book/canon must be considered on the whole in interpreting the verse. There is no point just lifting "Honor thy parents" – without considering the following verse in which is quickly followed by "Fathers, do not provoke your children".

4) There are a lot of non-canon writings that are very useful, but it is best to have at least read the Bible once before turning to these non-canon writings. Some of these non-canon writings, I mean not the Gnostic gospels, but good theological writings such as those by CS Lewis, Calvin's Institutes, Systematic Theology by Berkhof and Grudem, Josephus's writings, etc. I caution against going to Gnostic gospels until one is very sound in apologetics. And bear in mind that other than the writings in the canons, all other writings are prone to and may possibly have grave errors or misinterpretations. One example is that of Dante's Divine Comedy, which despite being wonderful in getting further understanding as to why some sins are sins, the concept of Purgatory is not biblical and something concocted in 1000 AD by Alexandria philosophers.

5) As a suggestion, consider how God, more specifically the Holy Ghost is speaking to you during the meditation of the verse and passage. Most of the time if you learn something new, or some ideas suddenly enlightens you, or reprimands you, it is likely to be from God. No sinful man can read through the entire Bible and feel guiltless of their actions and behavior. The Bible is an instruction, and convicts people who err and are lost.

6) Be aware of the classifications of the Bible books, but do not be fixated on the classification. While Genesis is not technically considered Wisdom literature like Proverbs, Ecclesiastes etc, there are new "methods" to use Proverbs to reinterpret Genesis – especially the account of creation. This is not surprising as the entire Bible is from the same One God.

7) Be aware that the Bible can be interpreted (with the guidance of the Holy Ghost) by all academic disciplines: scientifically, psychologically, literally, poetically..etc, thus making it the one and only truly living book of all time. God did not inspire the writing of the book only for people of that time, but of all ages. A timeless God is not bound by time. If you are multi-disciplinary, say familiar with architecture; psychology (discourse analysis); history, read the Bible using each method, either go through the Bible each time with each perspective, or when going through individual "chunks" (such as stories or passages). You find great wealth of wisdom and knowledge. However, do note that some parts of the Bible are meant to be taken literally e.g. Genesis, and some parts, symbolically e.g. parts of Revelation.

8) Academic appreciation of the Bible is necessary. The Bible is not just supernatural, but involved very much in our lives. It is practical, physical, academic, and supernatural. Do not get focused on only one end. In the increasing scientific world, relying on experience and the supernatural is not enough. The scientific and academic is just as important. But neglect not the supernatural aspect of the Bible accounts.

9) Remember that the OT and the NT cross-reference each other. They are NOT to be read independently. The beauty of the Bible canons are that they complement each other so well despite being written over 3000 years, by different authors, and in no less than 3 different languages. The Bible needs to be treated on the WHOLE as well as individually in each book.

10) The Bible can be appreciated by the young child, as well as the greatest linguistic scholars. Read the Bible over and over in life, each time promises to give a new perspective. It is the only book that can do that – Timelessly.