Section 2 - Article 2

Article 2 - Understanding Grace

This article is a dialogue that was personally very enlightening. Personally I cannot explain the nature of the conversation, it was not physical, nor in a trance. Perhaps an epiphany would describe it.

I believe that I have a dialogue with God whenever I get enlightened, or when I come upon a solution that I could not have understood or thought of otherwise. A frog in the well cannot know that it is in a well, unless it is told by something or someone outside the well, or when it is shown that it is inside the well by something outside. Therefore, when I get solutions to problems or special understanding of things that are outside my own knowledge or thought processes, I attribute it to the One who is outside of creation - God.

I often struggle to keep my thoughts and my desires in check with what is expected of me from God. More often than not, I fail desperately, with no chance for recourse. So, on my tube journey home one day, the following conversation took place. God's response is denoted here as God. Me is self-explanatory. I denote silence from either party with ........ Of course what I record from God here was not from a physical voice.

Me: I'm fed up. I cannot. I am tired.

God: My grace is sufficient for thee.

Me: But I want to be in a state that I do not need grace. I want to do things right.

God: .....

Me: I want to be able to do things right, without needing grace. I want to be perfect in Your eyes.

God: My Grace is sufficient for thee...

Me: .......

God: You are perfect, because My grace is sufficient for thee.

Me...

God: Stop trying, and accept that My grace is sufficient for thee.

Me: ....!?!....!?!?.....

God: The more you try, the more you err. My grace is sufficient for thee.

Me: ........

God: I have freed you. You are not bound by works, stop trying, and accept My grace. My Grace is sufficient for thee.

Me...........

God: Enjoy the freedom that is given to you. My grace is sufficient for thee.

Me: Does it mean that you have given everyone sufficient grace? Even individuals who sin without end? Even those that know that they are doing wrong?

God: My grace is sufficient for thee.

(OK, at this point, God is beginning to sound like a broken record to me).

Me: How about those who struggle daily? Those who hate their brother? Those that lust and chase after the winds of this world? How about those who take advantage of your grace? Is there no fire and brimstone?

God: My grace is sufficient for thee (them). I am God Who is slow in anger, abounding in love. My Grace is sufficient for thee...

Me: Love...

God: A mother loves the child despite the imperfection. Ready forgiveness. Grace is in Love.

The "dialogue" ends because I am speechless (or because I arrived at my station, I cannot remember). I understood that the Lord our God has mercy and grace that is beyond my comprehension, to the extent that each and every one of us cannot finish utilizing. We are free, not trapped in constant trying to live up to be the perfect man, and be bogged down by it. Jesus is our model, but even if we cannot reach it, there should be no despair. We are made perfect because of grace (keyword being made). And the grace is sufficient, because God's love for us is great beyond measure. Therefore His grace is great beyond measure. It is great enough to withstand our lack of love in return, great enough for our disobedience, great enough for us!

However, we should not intentionally sin more so grace can abound more (Paul has warned this in his writings). The Lord has His limit, though at a level beyond our understanding. The book of Revelation warns of that time when God's limit is reached. Though free, we must not abuse it or the benefit will eventually be withdrawn. And it is our moral human duty to love back as much as we are loved.