Section 1 - Article 4

Article 4 - Why we need personal philosophy

In this writing, I draw upon some aspects of child developmental psychology to explain the crucial point in personal philosophy.

If one were to observe the dramas and comedies targeted at teens and young adults, one would notice that the drama/comedy characters (usually teens) "mess up" on many fronts. Whilst these are fictional characters, there are plenty of real-life parallels, in which many teens in liberal societies do indeed use drugs, have promiscuous sex, and go on drug-induced insanity trips, focusing on self-satisfaction. What goes on in the minds of these individuals? It may seem that many of them want to manipulate others, control their environment and have power over their own lives. And why do teenagers want these? Such desires likely arise from their realization that they are powerless to deal with their environment and themselves.

Objectively speaking, the period of adolescence into the young adult is arguably the most difficult time in the developed world. It is a period of uncertainty when many experience changes in their schools, academic subjects, friendships, working environments, and dreams, often requiring resources that they lack. In some cases, this period may coincide with the mid-life crisis of parents. To add salt to an open wound, it is also a period where they start to deal with emotional and physical changes. It is of little wonder that this is a period of great insecurity and uncertainty, when the desire to get some control and power over their situation and environment arises. Those that are unable to deal appropriately, may resort to escapism where they bury themselves in games, drugs, illegal activities, and for some, over zealousness for the divine or occult. And what they choose is really determined by their personal philosophy and beliefs.

Those who do not have significant family support in the form of understanding parents or relatives, would be forced to turn to peer support. And the problem is that the peer support is made up of other just as confused and frustrated individuals. Again, adding salt to an open wound, is that society teaches that power/money (materialism), or escapism to be the solutions. If the individual's personal philosophy goes along the line of: 'I don't want this' - so I'm going to ignore it by getting numb/depressed/high.' then escapism in drugs or other mind-numbing activities would be favored. Alternatively, if the philosophy be, 'I don't want this, but I would solve it and get things under my control as much as I can.', the individual would attempt to gain control of the situation.

Those with strong family/elderly support can get over issues through advice, sharing of experiences, family care and love. Yet, personal philosophy is really important for people, regardless of age. It is the compass to help us all deal with problems and situations. And what shapes this compass, is religion, as it provides the center of morality and wisdom. Those with strong convictions in their religious philosophy may often find it easier to stay resilient in the face of changes. Truth be told, trusting in an omnipotent being Who cares deeply about you, and make things work out in the best way for you, is psychologically soothing, and reduces unnecessary stress. On this, one may interpret the situation that God had engineered the need for God into humans, where without God, one is lost.

While family and wiser friends help in shaping a good personal philosophy that allows us to deal with the onslaught of difficulties, it is essential to get it right with God rather than with family or friends. It is God Who created us, and knows what's right and wrong. Ultimately, it is only by having the right personal philosophy, that we are able to do what is right and best for ourselves and others.