Chapter Nine

Hey, so I kind of forgot to update yesterday.

So, I apologize. But here it is.

~Anna

Chasity's Perspective:

“Chaz,” I heard through the blur of my latest nightmare. I could feel myself jump at the gunshot, though I knew it was coming, and through the shrieks of pain from inside the door, I heard it again. “Chasity,” came the voice that sounded oddly familiar…

I opened my eyes to find a very concerned looking John looking down at me. I took deep, steadying breaths as he’d instructed me to do so many times and I soon felt a little better as I looked into his green eyes. “Was is bad this time?” He asked quietly, brushing away a piece of hair that had fallen from my loose bun. I shook my head.

“Not terrible,” I whispered, hugging him. “But I’m fine. I think you should sleep.” He shook his head.

“I’m not sleeping knowing that you could possibly be having terrifying dreams about-” He cut off, as I still hadn’t explained what my dreams were actually about. I waved him off and assured him that I’d stay awake (which only made him wanna sleep less, but oh well), and so he decided to at least attempt resting for the first time in a while. But, sadly, my promise wasn’t kept for long, as it’s very hard for a 20-year-old girl to stay awake when she has nothing to do but recall every nightmare she’d had that week.

I woke up again, yelling like mad before I looked up into the green eyes watching me. “This is why I don’t sleep,” He said, smiling a little and holding me close. “I’m so sorry, Chaz. You shouldn’t have to go through this. You didn’t do anything wrong.” And that was when I burst into tears.

“I kn-know I didn’t but to h-him I d-did!” I whimpered through tears and he shushed me gently.

“Who thinks that?” He asked me patiently and I decided it was time to finally divulge to him what no one (not even Alayna) had heard before.

“W-when,” I started, attempting to keep my voice steady, but failing miserably. “I-I was little, my mom was single, since my dad left. B-but she got a boyfriend who s-seemed nice at first, but then he started g-getting abusive (I had to wear long sleeves year round to hide the bruises) and I one night I w-was going to tell my mom on him, since I thought he was sleeping, but I looked through the cracked door and saw him with a gun pointed at my mom. I was so scared I c-couldn’t move. U-until,” I shut my eyes and held back from screaming. “He shot her. In the arm. The blood brought me back to reality and I ran to call the police. He got arrested, and my mom lived, but I’ve never seen anything so scary in my life and now,” I sobbed. “He’s back.” John looked astounded.

“How is he back?”

“His n-name,” I stammered. “is Javier Lugosi, and he’s escaped from prison in Phoenix.” John wrapped me in the warmest, tightest, sweetest hug I’d ever experienced and allowed me to cry into his shoulder for what felt like forever.

“I’m so sorry, Chasity. I’m so sorry. No girl should have to go through that, especially not as a child and especially not when that child is so innocent,” He whispered to me. “But I swear that I will do everything I can to protect from him, though I honestly find it hard to believe that he’s after you.” I continued to cry into John’s shoulder, though I gently nodded. And then it happened.

He pulled away, allowing me to look into his gorgeous eyes and somehow, for some reason (though I have no complaints), we kissed. Again.

***