Section 11 - Faults and Flaws

This chapter is actually one which I recommend you give your characters. This is because if your character has some very obvious flaws then that means they aren't perfect and therefore, less Mary-Sue.

For example, I think I mentioned in my body shape chapter that you might chose to make your character less physically fit which would mean they couldn't run for miles from danger. How many of us could run endlessly from danger and still have enough energy to fight or even aim a gun? I know I wouldn't, therefore this makes a character more relatable, realistic and less Mary-Sue.

Fears are also a great way to reduce how Mary-Sue a character is as they can prevent a character doing everything that must be done. This in turn stops them being perfect and can also knock down their confidence, a thing we have all felt.

Another thing you could try is making your character emotional or mental flaws. The emotional flaws may include things like feeling jealous or envious of someone rather than constantly only having two emotions, flirty (if that counts) and anger.

Mental flaws may include things like depression and anxiety. I personally have anxiety and I know how it can hold me back. I won't go into details but basically, if you chose to give a character one of these and execute it well, it can be great at reducing how Mary-Sue a character is. Just make sure to do proper research as @Puppy_reader pointed out.

It's important to not go in completely the other direction as @Lance_Blackhawk7 commented. You still want your character to be liked even with those faults. (Also I didn't know Anti-Sue was a term so thank you for that.)

Would you guys add anything else to this list or to the things I've stated above?