9.3 - Weapons

Ah, weaponry, a thing found in a variety of stories but a thing that is easily overpowered.

So like always, apply your weapons to your era and context but I'm pretty sure you all expected that one.

Mainly though, I wanted to talk about being overpowered. If you decide to give your character a weapon, ideally try to settle on just one e.g. Katniss with her bow, Luke Skywalker with his light saber.

It's alright if you want to make them use a number of different weapons (maybe because being able to use a range of weapons is more practical to a character, I don't know). But if this is the case, don't make your character a master of all weapons. 

On average, to master a talent, you need to do around 10,000 hours of practice. That is to become flawless at something and is what professionals will attempt to do. A book is not real life and so it is not a sin if you want to shorten this length of time because honestly, a reader doesn't want to plough through that much repetitive writing. But at the same time, a character can't just perfect something over night and they also can't flawlessly use two weapons.

As always, I welcome additional comments because I know this sounds rushed, (which it is).

(Sorry this chapter took so long. Exams are horrid 😔)