Chapter 43

~~Chapter 43~~

When Zach and I got to the car, it was 3:47. Zach pulled out, and we were off again for a three hour drive. The heat was on, but I was still chilly without my jacket.

"Don't listen to him, Destiny. He's not worth crying over." He said softly. I shook my head.

"He meant what he said, Zach." I said, wiping away a tear. He was silent after that, but pulled over to the side of the road.

After turning the car off, he turned to me. Now that the heat was off, I was kind of cold. I watched as he unbuckled his seat belt, then mine.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Here, put your head on my lap, sweetie." Zach said, pulling me down gently. I did as he told me and rested my head on his legs. "I know you don't want to cry in front of me, Destiny. But for right now I want you to just let it all out, okay?"

I thought for a moment, then continued to sob. Zach was quiet, and he rubbed my back as I cried.

I don't know how long we stayed like that, but it felt wonderful.

Finally, I was done crying, and Zach was stroking my hair as I stayed silent. After another minute, I sat back up in my seat. Zach pulled out a tissue box from the back of the car and handed it to me. I nodded at him, then pulled one out and wiped my tears away.

Zach started the car again and left the side of the road. We drove in silence again, but an hour later he pulled into a restaurant to eat.

We got out of the car and Zach hurried over to me.

"Here, put this on." He told me, taking his jacket off and putting it on my shoulders.

"Zach, you really don't have to do that. I'll be fine."

"No, Destiny, just put it on. I don't want you getting sick." He said.

"But what about you?" I asked, slipping my arms into his sleeves.

"I'll be fine. I have a good immune system."

I nodded, then followed him into the restaurant. Right away, a man seated us in a booth and told us that he would be right back. As we waited, I took off Zach's jacket and set it on my lap.

We both opened our menus and waited for our waiter. When he came back, we gave him our drink orders, and he told us that he would be right back. He did, then set our drinks in front of us.

"So, what can I get you two lovebirds tonight?"

My eyes immediately snapped to Zach in surprise, but he just smirked at me.

"I'll have the spaghetti." He said, showing no surprise after what the waiter had said.

"Me t-too." I told him softly. He smiled, then walked away with our orders. When I faced forward again, I realized that Zach was staring at me intensely.

"Hi." I said shyly. He laughed a little.

"Hey there. Do you feel better?" He asked. I nodded a little.

"I think so."

"Well tell me if you need me to do something for you."

"Okay."

It was silent after that, and our waiter had brought us our food. As we finished eating, our waiter came back to give us the check.

"Have a good night, guys." He told us.

When we were done, I asked Zach if I could pay this time.

"No way." He told me seriously.

"I'm serious Zach, you always do so much for me. It's not fair."