Chapter 39

~~Chapter 39~~

We walked across the street, and Zach opened the door for me on the way in. We sat down in a booth, and I pulled my hat and jacket off. The lights were dimmed a little, and it was kind of dark in the restaurant.

Was this a date?

No, Zach was just being nice. He probably felt bad after my disaster last night. He wouldn't actually date me.

"Hello, I'm Mackenzie, can I get you two something to drink?" The waitress asked, looking at Zach.

"Well, I'll have a hot chocolate if you have some." He told her. She nodded, then turned to me.

"I'll have the same." I told her.

"Alright, I'll be right back with those." She said, turning away. As we waited, there was an awkward silence. We weren't talking, and I was just playing with my fingers a little. Finally, the waitress came back with our drinks and took our orders. When she finished writing it down on her notepad, she turned to Zach.

"Um, I was just wondering... Are you single?" She asked. We both looked at her, surprised. Zach's eyes snapped to me, then back at her.

"Um, actually she's my date." He told her, gesturing across the table to me. I freaked out on the inside, but I tried to keep my face neutral on the outside.

"Oh, okay. I'll be back in a little bit with your food." She said, sounding disappointed, then walked away.

"Sorry about that. I don't think I want to start dating again yet." He told me.

Oh, I thought. So it's not a date. He was just using me as an excuse. I nodded at him and smiled.

"I think she's pretty upset."

He shook his head. "She should have known not to ask though, especially since I'm with another girl."

"Maybe she thought I was your sister." I told him.

"Maybe."

"Zach, can I ask you a personal question?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"Why did you break up with Jessica? You seemed so happy with her on Thursday."

He took a sip of his drink and sighed.

"Just little things that built up." He told me. "Sometimes she was whining, and other times she was too clingy, but mostly she just said things that I didn't agree with."

I gave him a confused look.

"Like when we were sitting in her room watching that movie. She told you to dress like the girl. And yesterday when she said that a 'cute boy'" He used his fingers as quotation marks. "Will never ask you out again. And then obviously when I found out she paid the guy to ask you."

"Oh." I said, nodding in understanding. "I'm really sorry if I got in the way of your relationship. I didn't mean to."

He closed his eyes and shook his head. "Trust me, you didn't."

A few minutes later, the waitress came back and put our food on the table. We thanked her, then ate in silence for a while.

"So, did you enjoy your first skating experience?" Zach asked, laughing a little. I shook my head a little, not approving of his laughter.

"When I wasn't falling, it wasn't that bad." I said, smiling a little.

We finished our food, and the waitress gave us our check. I pulled out my wallet, but Zach beat me to it. He put a twenty down on top of the check. I shook my head.

"Zach, I-"

"Nope, I've got it."

"I'm serious, Zach. You've done a lot for me already."

The waitress came over and picked the check and twenty up, then took it away.

"Too late."

I gave him an angry look. "Well I'm leaving the tip then."

"Nope." He said, putting a five on the table.

I glared at him, then went through my wallet.

"Put it away, Destiny." He told me.

"No, I can't let you-"

"Destiny."

I looked up at him. He was leaning forward on the table. "Put it away. Now." His eyes were serious, and I didn't think it was a good idea to argue with him anymore. I set my wallet down and put it in my pocket.

"Thank you." I said softly. He smiled at me.

"Anytime."

The waitress set our receipt on the table, and Zach pocketed it.

"Thanks for coming." She said as we stood up. Zach took me outside again in the snow and continued to walk back to school.

"Shoot." I said, upset.

"What's wrong?" Zach asked.

"I can't find my other glove." I told him, pulling out only one glove from my pockets. Zach pulled off his leather glove and held it out to me.

"Zach, you don't-"

"Don't argue with me, Destiny. It's a bad idea." He grabbed my wrist and slid his glove on my hand, then continued to walk. I stayed silent until we got back to school and entered the warm building.

"Thank you." I told him as I pulled my coat and hat off once we were in my room.

"No problem. I think it was good for both of us to get out."

I nodded, pulling off his glove and handing it to him. "Yeah, I think so too."

He smiled, and I wrapped my arms around him. He returned the hug, and we stayed there for a minute. Finally, I pulled away.

"I'll see you at dinner, okay?" He asked. I nodded.

"Okay."

Zach opened the door and walked out, closing the door behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8/29/13

Sorry, I know it can get annoying when two characters aren't falling in love as fast as you want them to, but I think it's more realistic this way. Zach won't wake up one day and yell, "I LOVE DESTINY!" but they will develop their feelings a little slowly. Sorry if you don't want it that way.

Thanks for reading! :)