Chapter 3 - Merger

1 year later.

“Come on Vivek get your shit together we’re going to be late and the boss is going to be pissed if we don’t get there on time.”

“Shit Patrick, I’m coming – I just got all of this stuff two days ago and they expect me to have gone through all of this before the meeting.  Are we taking the train to Cambridge? I could use the time to keep going through all of this stuff.”

“No we’re late man.  We have to cab it if we’re going to be there on time. I can’t believe the boss only gave you two days to prep for this meeting.”

“You know how the big guys are, they take forever deciding on the deal and once they’ve made up their mind they expect us to pull it all together within hours.  What do you know about the company we’re merging with?”

Patrick hailed the cab and told me about the company, “Their niche is app games for females.  Since most of our games run through Facebook, we need to expand and not be so reliant on FB.  The founders of Gaze Gaming have the same philosophy as our founders – no violence and focus on an educational bent.  Our games are focused on female gamers online so it makes sense to add apps to our repertoire.”

Sliding into the cab, Patrick continued speaking.  “The merger makes sense, but in the long run do you think that our company, Genki Gaming is going to survive without making games for the masses which mainly appeal to teenagers looking to blow something up?”

“Fuck if I know Patrick, I’m the tech geek I just help build them, I don’t decide what to build.  I figure if they go under, I can easily find another job somewhere else.  My job is to execute what the big guys want.  And I do a hell of a job with that.  What do you know about their Engineering team?”

Patrick smiled, “All I know is that the Director of Engineering, who you will mainly be working with is I hot!”

“Dude I’m not gay! Yuck!”

“I never said you’re gay! Aren’t you a bit stereotypical! You assumed that your counterpart is a guy! She’s definitely not a guy! If she is, she sure as hell has me fooled! BTW, you do remember we make games for women so don’t screw this up with any sexist comments!”

“I’m not a chauvinist! Yeah, I assumed it was a guy.  I’ve never worked with a female Director of Engineering.  This should be interesting.  Hopefully her coding skills match her looks.” Vivek said.

“What the fuck, did I tell you about the sexist comments? Now you’re assuming because she’s good looking she can’t code.  You’re lucky HR (Human Resources) isn’t joining us on this meeting.  Get your shit together before you get a lawsuit slapped up your ass!” Patrick nearly yelled.

“Take it easy, I’m just talking to you.  You know I’d never do that in the presence of others.  What’s up with all of the gender sensitivity?”

“Vivek, you’ll understand when you get married and have a daughter.  I wouldn’t want anyone making assumptions about my wife or daughter.”

“You’re the one who brought it up, by calling her Hot! Now you’re thrashing me for it,” Vivek defended himself.

Patrick looked guilty and admitted, “Yeah, I did do that didn’t I? Guess old habits die hard.”

“Better watch your own ass for unwanted lawsuits.  Come on we’re here!”

We walked up to the non-descript building in Cambridge and let ourselves in.  We walked up to the reception and had to wait for five minutes before anyone showed up.  But, that’s how it is in start-ups.  Resources are constrained and you don’t have money or time for all of the niceties. 

Finally, the receptionist walked up to the front desk.

“How can I help you gentlemen?”

“We’re here from Genki Gaming to meet with the engineering team.”

“Wonderful, the team is in the back waiting for you.  I’m Sam the office manager.”

“Hi Sam, I’m Patrick Director of Product Management and this is our Director of Engineering Vivek.”

“Nice to meet you Sam,” I said.

She walked in front of us and I walked next to Patrick and gave him an appreciative nod in Sam’s direction.  He scowled at me, “Remember our conversation!”

I just shrugged my shoulders.  An engineering company with good looking women.  I already liked this merger.

We walked into the conference room and I was looking down and the first thing I saw when we walked in was a woman’s bright yellow funky shoes.  They were bright yellow flats with a tassel hanging in front and a funky design.  I followed the shoes and my eyes headed up and gazed over slim ankles, up bare toned calves, to the edge of a navy blue capri pants and then up a white crisp sleeveless shirt and I was looking into a face that took my breath away.

A flawless face with smooth olive skin and no make-up, but just a hint of eyeliner with dark hair pulled back in a high ponytail the edge of which was hitting her in the middle of her back.  And a familiar feeling swept over me.  I looked at the woman with the chocolate brown eyes and I immediately knew I’d met her before. 

I quickly looked at her wrist and saw her wearing a Timex sports watch.

The woman came towards me and extended her hand and said “Hi, I’m Tara the Director of Engineering.  Welcome to Gaze Gaming.”

Yup, the Tara I had a school boy crush on and who was Armaan’s ex-fiancé. 

I shook her hand and looked at Patrick who smiled and mouthed “I told you so.”