Chapter 21 - Launch

Tuesday before the Thursday Launch

“Shit! What the hell is happening?” I yell at my team.

“I don’t know boss.  We just made a few adjustments yesterday to clean up the look and feel.  We just made some minor changes to the code, but all of the changes were about the style and coloring.”

“Well it did more than change a few god damn colors.  The pricing is not adding up! The whole purpose is to teach girls to do math and if we can even add up simple numbers, it’s not really much of a math game is it?” I bark at the team. 

“Well it’s fucking up more than the numbers.  All of the colors on the app are completely off.  The pink looks like cheap Maybelline lipstick.  We’re creating a Channel Lipstick and this looks like some cheap stuff from the corner drug store.  Where the hell is our designers Alison and Charles?” Tara yells behind me.

I turn to look around to look at her.  She looks just as pissed and panicked as I am.

“Show me all of the code changes that were made last night,” I demand.

“No one is leaving today until we get this fixed.  We better get this fixed before Laurel hears about this!”

The entire team runs around scrambling to figure out what is going on.  They are all seated in the bull pen as we call it making it easier to exchange thoughts and ideas.

I look over at Tara and she is leaning over the shoulder watching the designers pull up every line of HTML code.  She is literally breathing down their neck.  Our designer, Alison, is young this is her first job out of college, and I can tell she’s nervous as hell.  Her fingers are shaking on the keyboard.

I walk over to Tara.  “Hey can I talk to you for a moment?” I ask.

“Sure.”

We walk towards my office.

“Tara take a deep breath.”

She looks at me funny.  “I’m not in the mood for a yoga lesson right now.”

“Tara, we’re going to figure this out, but if you keep literally hovering every team member we will not uncover the problem.  You’re making them nervous.”

“They’re nervous! I’m the one that is nervous that this is going to bomb! I’m not exactly on the best footing with launching apps this season.”

“Tara, we’re going to get through this, okay but I need you to take a chill pill.  We’ll spot the errors easier if you’re come.  Plus we both can’t be pissy.  One of us needs to be the good cop and the other bad cop.”

Tara laughed.  “Thanks Vivek.  I’m just scared I’m going to fuck this up again.”