Chapter 27 - Manipulation

Ignoring Steve's comment, Tara turned to me with a serious look, "You have to promise me you won't tell anyone. No one can know what Armaan and I did. Please promise me you won't share with this with anyone."

"Why does it matter? Armaan and Sandra are married now. What's the big deal?"

"You're kidding me, right? Don't you know your aunt? She would go ballistic if she knew she was played and then she'd make all of our lives miserable. You can't say anything," Tara pleaded.

I laughed thinking about my aunt Sunita, "I still can't believe you fooled her. She never even suspected anything was up? She's like the queen gossip of Canada and a nosy busy body."

"You have no idea how difficult it was acting as her future daughter in law; listening to her was torture. Frankly, I don't know how Sandra does it. I'd l have killed her by now if she was my mother in law."

I laughed, "That's my aunt a real pain in the ass. How did your mom handle the break up?"

"My mom was happy about the engagement because she thought Sunita auntie would finally tame me since my own mother couldn't. When the engagement was over, my parents were pissed, especially my mother. I haven't spoken to them much since the incident," Tara laughed nervously.

I looked at her not knowing what to say; she lost her relationship to her parents because of Armaan.

Steve rubbed her back, "You fooled everyone and you did a fabulous job. If the tech thing doesn't work out you can always go into acting."

"Yes, there's always acting," Tara said as she crossed her legs and placed her chin on the back of her hand and sucked in her cheekbones as she was an old 50's actress posing for the camera.

"Let's go on a drive," I suggested breaking up the tension.

"Right now?" Tara asked.

"Yes right now."

I don't wait for her to answer; I grab her hand and we get up to leave.

"Bye Steve and thanks for everything," I say sincerely.

"Glad I could help. Have fun kids," he chuckles as we head out.

We walk to my car and I open the passenger door for Tara. She hesitantly climbs in.

I climb into the drivers side, "I really don't want Steve to be in the middle of mediating our entire conversation. Although I'm happy he was there to speed things up, because something tells me you weren't going to tell me the truth anytime soon."

"Come on Vivek, can't you understand why I couldn't tell you. I made a promise to Armaan and Sandra. I couldn't break my promise."

"Given our relationship, I think our circumstances were a bit different don't you think?" I ask letting the frustration seep out.

"I made a promise, Vivek and I don't go back on my promises. How did you get Armaan to kiss and tell?" she asked as she looked at me while I drove towards the North End.

"It wasn't easy getting Armaan to talk either. He didn't tell me easily if that's what you're wondering."

"You didn't answer my question."

"I yelled a lot."

"And he caved?"

"Actually, I didn't yell, I kind of trapped him; he didn't have much choice but to confess. You're not going to kill him are you? I think he's more worried of what you'll do," I laughed.