II. Chapter 27 | Part 2 - Aubree

Music: "Untitled 2" by Sigur Ros

----

Pain seized her heart.

No!

This couldn't be happening.

Why her? What could she do? She didn't have any medical training. Thankfully, she didn't have a weak stomach for blood, but she'd never been around anyone bleeding to death either. What if she couldn't handle the sight of a bleeding lycan on the table?

As if sensing her fear and hesitation, Gavin hurried to her and clasped her head in his hands and tilted it up so that her eyes would meet his.

"You have our mother's soul," he said. "We need you. Papa and I can't bring her back without you."

"Bring her back?" Aubree choked out the words.

That meant she was already gone.

"Hurry," he said, taking her shoulders this time and urging her to her feet. "There's not much time. She's slipped unconscious now. If we don't hurry, her soul will leave her body and we'll never be able to bring her back."

Pulling herself up on shaky legs, he helped her into the kitchen, where her stomach roiled at the sight before her.

Crimson blood pooled on the kitchen floor, slipping slowly down the table's legs, and dripping over the table's edge from the huge body covered up in bloodstained sheets. The metallic sting of copper, muddled earth, and wet dog punctured her nose, but it was the sight of the creature, Gwen, that made her weak in the knees.

Even though she was covered, with the sheet cut open over the gash in her stomach and blood seeping out all around as Rosemary attempted to quickly sew up the wound, Aubree could make out the outline of Gwen's form.

Long, lean, yet muscular legs covered in short, thick, dark brown fur, matted with blood hung over the edge of the table with Rosemary standing between them and working over the exposed stomach.

She had put on a long shirt, now stained red, her strawberry blonde hair piled high in a messy bun as her face held an expression of complete and total concentration.

Stone sat in a chair at Gwen's head, where the sheet peaked up over a pointed muzzle like the pictures she saw on the Internet. He had the sheet pulled down slightly, enough to expose her long pointed ears and forehead as he pressed his to the dark brown fur. His eyes were closed as he held her head in his hands, his lips fluttering as nearly silent words whispered through them.

Aubree's heart ached at the sight of him holding his child's head to his, holding onto her life as best as he could.

"Don't distract him, Aubree," Gavin whispered, following her pained gaze. "He's locked in. He's the only one keeping her from leaving us right now."

Oh god!

"What do I do?" she asked, afraid of distracting Stone and losing Gwen forever.

Gavin pulled over a chair that had been dragged to the side of the kitchen and set it next to one of the long, limp arms hanging over the edge of the table. He went over to one of the drawers and pulled out a wooden rolling pin. Clasping it in her hand and holding it in both of his, he said, "Hold her hand like this. If she comes to—when she comes to," he corrected himself, "she may squeeze and break your hand, thus the rolling pin. I'll guide you through it on her other side."

Swallowing a lump of fear, she nodded before he guided her to the enormous claw-like hand and assisted her in wrapping the limp fingers around the rolling pin. The hand was the size of her head with long pointed claws capable of shredding her skin with a feather-light caress.