II. Chapter 15 | Part 2 - Aubree

As evening approached, the house came alive. 

Gwen kept Aubree company since Stone left, then they were joined by Alistair, and soon afterward, Gunner. The pair were fully clothed this time, though Alistair joked around about them having to wear clothes around the house at all times now.

Apparently, they had no shame when it came to walking around nude. Even Gwen wasn't phased by it.

She shrugged. "It is what it is. If we shifted into our human forms fully-clothed, maybe we would think differently about it, but we don't."

"Naked is as naked does," Alistair added with a grin.

Gwen rolled her eyes. "That makes no sense."

"I believe the phrase is, 'Stupid is as stupid does'," Gunner said.

Alistair punched him in the shoulder. Gunner didn't even flinch. "Don't embarrass me in front of her."

Aubree couldn't help grinning. "Actually, he's right."

Alistair gaped at her like a kicked puppy.

Gunner's lips quirked up a touch. "Stupid."

"That's it. You're coming with me." Alistair lunged for Aubree.

Her eyes widened, but before she could even move, he scooped her up and threw her over his big, broad shoulder like a sack of potatoes. The air left her lungs in a rush upon impact, and almost as soon as she was able to gather more in, she was flung on the couch in the living room and large rough fingers were tickling her stomach.

Shrieks and squeals escaped her lips between giggles when the door burst open with a loud bang, followed by a snarl as Alistair was yanked away.

Aubree gasped as she looked up to see Stone pinning Alistair against the wall. She could only see Stone's back and Alistair's outline as she froze in fear. Her heart hammered against her chest as she tried to wrap her head around what was going on.

"Alpha, we were just playing!" Alistair struggled to say.

"She was shrieking! You were hurting her!" Stone roared.

Gwen ran in from the kitchen as Stone abruptly released him and pressed his hand to his face. Gunner entered then, and he and Gwen stood back as Alistair reached around to grip Stone behind the head and pressed his forehead to his.

"You know I would never hurt her," Alistair whispered so softy that Aubree barely heard it.

The sudden terror that she had felt slowly dissipated as she watched Stone's posture slump forward, a war waging within.

Alistair looked over Stone's shoulder at Aubree and gave her an apologetic smile before he wrapped his arm around Stone's shoulder and steered him down the hallway that led to the sunroom.

Aubree never got a look at Stone's face, but she didn't need to. His body language said enough as he disappeared from sight.

Gwen sighed as she plopped herself next to Aubree on the couch. "Don't worry. Those two were always butting heads over Mamaw. Papa would never seriously hurt him—or any of us for that matter."

Aubree nodded but avoided looking at Gwen as she sat up and leaned back on the couch. "I know. He cares a lot about you guys."

Gwen's voice lowered. "More than you can imagine."

Looking up tentatively, Aubree chanced a glance at Gwen's worried, yet sad face before looking away.

"It would help if I didn't shriek when being tickled," Aubree said in an attempt to lighten the mood.