I. Chapter 14 | Part 1 - Aubree

Aubree couldn't believe how easy it was for him to back off after telling him that she would be returning to Chicago. She almost felt bad omitting the fact that she wasn't staying there. Of course, she and Dan were coming back, but if it would get Stone to stop stalking her, then that was what she had to do.

She hated lying, and that's what it felt like to her. Even though she wasn't technically lying, just with-holding part of the truth, it still made her feel bad.

While Stone did take the news well, she didn't miss the hurt in his eyes, the torn feeling she got when he pulled away from her in the car and climbed out.

It's for the best, she reminded herself as she walked across the parking lot and into the apartment building. Stone was confusing her more and more each time she saw him. It was time she cut him out completely. Maybe then, she could focus on her and Dan and feel more at home here.

Would that mean she'd have to cut out Gwen too?

Sadness enveloped her as she made her way back to the apartment. She'd have to cut out both of them in order to keep Stone out of her life. That hardly seemed fair to Gwen. It wasn't her fault that her brother was over-protective and always in her business.

Her heart squeezed painfully at the thought of never seeing either of them again. She still couldn't figure out why she felt so strongly towards Stone. It's not like she cared about the jackass.

She paused outside her apartment door, key in hand, to grip her heart. Her eyes slowly widened in horror at the thought, despite the tightening sensation in her chest.

Was she having a heart attack or something?

She had to be. There was no way that she held feelings towards that asshole.

Leaning against the door, she pressed the back of her hand against her cheek then forehead, feeling heat radiate off her skin. Taking slow, deep breaths, she tried to calm her racing heart and lower her temperature.

What was wrong with her? She couldn't stand Stone. Sure, he was freaking hot with his chiseled good looks, broad chest, muscular build, breath-taking blue eyes—

Shut up! He's an overbearing, demanding prick and should be dropped like a freaking hot potato!

Raking her fingers over her face, she heaved a groan. She knew better than to focus on a guy's looks, and she tried to overlook that he was, in essence, like a god. He was maddening.

Yet, something kept pushing her, kicking and screaming, toward him.

You're losing your mind, she told herself with a scowl.

Shoving her key into the lock, she pushed aside her confused feelings toward Stone, turned the key, and pushed the door open.

The sound of Dan heaving into the toilet met her ears upon entry and she couldn't help wrinkling her nose at the sound. Vomiting was one of the worst sounds in the world, even if you did love and feel sorry for the one doing it.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed aside her revulsion and mentally prepared herself to attend to Dan and his poor stomach.

It was going to be a long night.

----

Dedicated to princess_shab 

*Copyright Jo Lee Hunt (Joflower) 2015*