II. Chapter 21 | Part 1 - Stone

Truth be told, Stone was relieved by Aubree's reaction. As much as he wanted to believe he had control over himself, he was still apprehensive about slipping up. He'd spilled human blood on more than one occasion—an act that was condemnable by death.

If he accidentally killed Aubree, he wouldn't be able to live with himself. The Council's death sentence wouldn't deliver the justice he deserved for such an act.

As he watched her sleep later that night, curled up in his arms and wearing one of his T-shirts, he couldn't help but relish in the feel of her. No amount of physical pleasure was worth losing her altogether.

He kept tabs on everyone all night through the mind-link, unable to sleep himself. He would have to change that. As much as he wanted to be part of the night-time hunt, where the real danger lurked, he knew he needed to make more of an effort to not only spent more time with Aubree but introduce her and prepare her for the role of luna.

It was evident now that they were still walking on rocky grounds, and they needed to work together to smooth out the path.

In the morning, everyone came back, and while Hector and Rosemary patrolled the borders, the Blauwald Pack members set to work on the garden with various perennials, annuals, rose bushes, and a young cherry tree to transplant.

As Gunner suggested to Aubree, it turned into a group effort so everyone could have a chance to bond with her.

Although she had no clue what she was doing, she was happy to try and make suggestions on where to plant everything.

Alistair and Gunner insisted on doing all the digging up of the soil, while Gavin and Gwen ripped out weeds, roots, and other unwanted or dead plants. They set out on this work while Aubree ate breakfast with Stone in the kitchen. By the time she was done, most of the grueling hard labor had been completed, and they were looking forward to creating a garden that would make their new luna happy.

Stone watched, bemused, as she gaped at the mess around the house. It was an impressive disaster, that he was sure of. It looked like every inch of soil had been dug up, when in actuality, there was a mess of leftovers tossed on the grass. Still, it probably looked daunting to her.

"We picked up some more flowers on our way back," Gavin told Aubree as she surveyed the torn-up property.

"Essentially buying everything left in stock," Gwen added. "Most garden centers are cleared out by now."

"Hopefully, we have enough..." Gavin trailed off as he rubbed the back of his neck, his eyes scanning over the empty flower beds around the house.

"It might be sparse this year but next year we'll be ready for spring and plant our own seeds," Gwen said.

"I will definitely kill those seeds somehow," Aubree mumbled.

"Nonsense, buttercup," Alistair declared as he wrapped an arm around Aubree's shoulder and gave her a rough squeeze. "We'll show you how it's done."

Stone glared at Alistair's grip around Aubree. He was being too rough with her, but he bit back the desire to kick his ass. She didn't look hurt or upset by it and neither should he.

What made him smile was when she swatted Alistair with her hand.

A grin spread across her face. "Alright, but if I kill anything you hand me, don't say I didn't warn you."

Gwen rolled her eyes. She reached out to pull Aubree from Alistair's grasp. "You'll be fine. Come on, we'll start you on something small and sturdy, like Marigolds. Did you know that they work great as an insect repellent?"