I. Chapter 12 | Part 2 - Aubree

Groaning, Aubree turned and strode across the span of pavement to the front doors of her apartment building.

Stupid Stone. Why was he such an idiot?

Right back to square one. It was as if he refused to budge in whatever decision he'd made—a decision she had no say in even though it was regarding her own life to begin with!

She yanked open the front door to the building, muttering, "Dumbass," under her breath as she went.

As soon as he was gone, she could feel her frustration set in again. He irked her so much, and yet, this was the third time she'd had an actual conversation with him.  She'd never been so annoyed by someone in such a short period of time of getting to know them. It was as if he wasn't even trying to be nice, or to be her friend, or to get to know her. He was just... there, taking up her time and energy and projecting himself onto her.

She muttered another derogatory word under her breath as she tromped through the entryway and down the hallway to the elevators. Jabbing the button for the elevator with her thumb, she released a pent-up sigh and dug her phone out of her purse.

Needing something to calm her down and deter her mind from the gigantic idiot, she opened the photo album and began flicking through pictures. There were pictures of her friends back home smiling back at her, her parents smiling together, her mom scowling, her dog, Whiskey, panting in the sun, pictures from a night out with her friends, Whiskey staring up at her with his tail wagging.

As the elevator's door open, she stepped in with two other people, feeling homesick and missing her friends, family, and dog.

Whiskey had been her ever-loving, attentive companion for eight years. A half German Shepherd, half Husky mix, he'd been the best dog she ever had. She trained him from a pup the summer they got him and she'd been the one he loved the most. If Dan's apartment building allowed pets, she would have brought Whiskey with her. Whiskey liked Dan and didn't mind sharing his girl with him.

She continued to flip through a few more pictures of Whiskey on her phone, missing him. She missed brushing her fingers through his thick black fur, scratching him behind his large attentive ears, the endless hours of playing fetch with him, relaxing on the couch with his head on her lap while she would pet his head.

She needed to go back home and visit her family.

Exiting the elevator, she walked down the hallway to their apartment and unlocked the door, her mind filled with memories of home. As she opened the door to let herself in, she stared sadly at the small apartment before her.

Sometimes, she wondered why she left behind such a great life.

Then, she'd shake her head and remind herself that she couldn't live with her parents forever. As she stood there now, she chided herself for being so immature. She had a great life with Dan. It would take some time to build that life with him but they would get there. Every couple had to start somewhere and they had more going for them than some couples out there.

Still, she thought with a sigh as she closed the door behind her, it would have been nice to have Whiskey here.

She'd gotten used to living with Dan now, but she still didn't feel like it was home to her yet. She wondered how long it would take for it to feel like home. Another week? A month?

Setting her purse down, she went into their room and began taking her clothes off before going into the bathroom to shower.

She heard Dan come into the apartment in the middle of rubbing conditioner into her hair. As she rinsed it out, the door to the bathroom opened with a soft click.