Torren the Unconqerable

Two years later

The golden sun rolled along in the wide azure sky, while dazzling white clouds, big as mountains, moved with slow purpose as the morning breeze pushed them along.

Elih leaned against the rough beam that was part of the fence around his new fields, to keep Wyld deer out. Tiny green buds were just starting to pop of the soil still moist from the spring rains, and he felt a certain satisfaction that they wouldn't have to worry about starvation this year. Things were starting to flow as they should.

"You do this every year? Seems dull." Linsum remarked from the ground, where he lay against a fence post, eyes closed.

"You would to, it you actually tried to help." Elih replied, and then in a more amused tone. "Of course, making any sort of effort might shock your system and do away with you.

Linsum cracked open his eyes just enough to give Elih a flat look.

"Then again," Elih said as he stroked his chin and pretended to think it over. "That might not be such a bad idea." Linsum snorted and closed his eyes again.

"You'd miss me."

"Maybe."

"Father?" Eric came to lean against the fence next to him, and Elih nodded in welcome. Two years had thickened out out his son, not nearly as bulky as Elih, but he there was no mistaking him for a boy now. Especially with the strip of thick stubble that ran the length of Eric's jaw line and chin.

"When be you going to shave that ridiculous beard lad, it be an absolute disgrace."

"Nice to see you as well uncle." Eric replied without looking down at him, instead, examining the enormous field.

"It's a strong crop so far, will it hold you think?"

"'Course, it's my field isn't it?"

Eric smiled and clicked his tounge. "Still not as good as mine, but you did your b-oud ravens call interupted Elih's retort, and all three glanced up to see a large, fine raven with a spladh of blue on its head alight onto the fence beam next to them.

"Palik! You're here!" Palik phased so that he was crouching on the fence, and he flashed them all a wide grin. Eric grabbed the slight young man and embraced him roughly, and Palik laughed good naturedly.

"Eric, Elih, I can't tell you how good it is to see you! Even you Linsum!" Linsum rolled his eyes.

"Is everyone already here?" Eric asked excitedly, finally releasing Palik from his grip.

"Not just yet, I flew ahead, didn't want to have the village suprised. I warned them, but I had to see you all again, Delrey told me where you were. He be quite the fool in love if you ask me."

Eric laughed. "He should be, he's a newly wed! Or didn't he tell you."

"I figured it out," Palik said in a playfully sardonic tone. "Between him eagerly telling me how cleaver Emma is, and how beautiful, and kind, and wonderful, and loving, and graceful..." Palik shook his head in mock despair.

"You mustn't forget loyal," Elih chimed in.

"Or generous," Eric added.

"And lovely,"

"And sweet."

"And how she has the best kiss the world has ever seen..."

"Stop, stop! I've already heard enough out of Delrey," Palik held out his hands and ducked his head as if in pain. "Please stop! It was a battle just to get him to talk about anything else."