The Start

"You?" A tall grizzled soldier sat behind a too small desk, scars covered his unpleasant face. He ran his gaze over her many times, but his disbelief remained. Raiyn gave a quick nod, her nerves making her twitch already.

" But...but...you're just a lass! Surely you don't expect me to believe you can put up a decent fight!" Her timid eye took on a steely glint, though her voice remained soft.

"I was taught by my father, a Captain. I am well aware on how to use a sword."

Shaking off what he deemed to be such a ridiculous notion, the soldier turned back to the scrolls on his desk. "I have my doubts. The lads won't need any help from you."

" Obviously you 'lads' need all the help you can get. "The jibe didn't infuriate him, as she had hoped. The angrier, the easier to manipulate, but he did pinch the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"I've turned down other lasses, you be not the first. I'll grant you come more prepared then the others, but what makes you think you're any different than they? "

She didn't brush aside the question, instead the girl pondered for a moment, her serious eyes fixed on his." This war is my war too." She finally said softly. "It is my right, as much as it yours." He finally looked her full in the eye, and sighed, looking tired. They all looked tired down here.

The wooden chair creaked as the heavy man stood, and Raiyn took a step back, her instincts readying her to flee. The veteran walked over to the narrow archway that led to the outside of the Underground, shaking his head as he went.

" The only way anybody leaves is if I let them. If you want so badly to go, prove yourself. You get past me, I'll sign your name on the enrollment. You won't hear from me again. You don't make it past, you stay. No sneaking, no scheming."

Raiyn tilted her head in thought for a moment. He was nearly twice her size, she couldn't possibly hope to match him strength for strength. She studied him with large, silver green eyes for a moment, biting her top lip before her face lit up. She made a dive for his left before twisting to the right, and slipping through the gap made when he had reached to block her.

The soldier's eyes bugged out as he turned to stare at her. She in turn gave a jumpy salute before started down the long tunnel.

"Raiyn, Dastina's-Daughter! Make sure you remember it!" She called over her shoulder as she sprinted down the tunnel that would lead her to the outside. Hurrying lest he change his mind.

He watched her go till he could no longer see her. Shaking his head, he gave the smallest of chuckles. The chuckles lengthened into a full out laugh as he heavily plopped back into his old chair. With a flourish he added her name to the long list before him

"Remember it? Don't think I'll forget, more likely."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Werkek leaned against the cavern wall and surveyed the sorry lot of this seasons new recruits. They were barely more than shadows that flitted on the edge of the cave. Most shied away from the other recruits, very few would even glance up.

Pitiful, absolutely pitiful. The men were barely more then boys, he doubted that most of them could even grow a half proper beard. Shoving down his immediate distaste for his assignment, Werkek shoved away from the wall, catching the new recruits stares as he moved towards the entrance.

One last, single shadow slipped into the cave. Disgusted, Werkek sneered. Scrawny. Absolutely scrawny. The last recruit paused for a moment, stiff and unsure. Those closest to the figure turned and stared. Only after another figure waved the last over did it move, but the heads continued to turn, following the newest recruits progress with open interest.