Guilt of the Living

Eric sat by the girl, who now lay in a cot by the wall farthest from the door. Her breathing had eased and she lay peacefully. He studied her through red lined eyes, the screams of the Changeling still echoed through through his tortured mind. The moon had risen long ago, but he had found sleep impossible, so he stood watch over the girl who had yet to wake. 

Eric rubbed his face with a bandaged hand, and a soft groan escaped him. He gazed at her, wondering how much she had seen of the horrific battle.

" Did you ever seen a man killed in war before. " No answer. " Its awful, the guilt, the blood. The worst part is it, the images stay. Every time you close your eyes, it's there. Clear as if it just happened. " Eric's voice caught as he spoke, he could almost smell the blood. 

His thoughts turned from blood, to his father, who had been covered with it when he had finally emerged from the fort. He had paced through the house, agitated and in a dark mood. When Eric had asked if the Changeling had said anything, his father had stared at him, not recognizing him in the slightest. 

This scared Eric more then anything that had happened today. He had fled the house and come here. 

"I used to know my father well, he used to take me fishing in the forest. He's the one who taught me how to use a sword and bow. Then my mother died. She got sick...really sick. She only lived for a few weeks after that. My father changed after she died."

 Eric fell silent as he remembered how he became dark and sullen. His whole attention was turned towards baby Jared, constantly pushing Eric away. Against his will, Eric's eyes turned misty, Jared had been what kept the two of them at least talking to each other. Now he was gone too.

"I just wasn't good enough for him anymore, never thought I had to earn being addressed as his son."  He couldn't help the bitterness that crept into his voice as thoughts he had tried to beat down over the years cropped up. Memories of his gentle hearted mother descended upon him without mercy.

 Angrily, he wiped away a stray tear. It seemed fate would not even let his mind rest for even a night. A soft sigh from the girl made his attention shift immediately, but she only turned her head towards him and fell still again. His eyes stung from the lateness of the hour, and his head drooped. 

A soft hand touched his shoulder, he turned to see a young healer in a nightgown behind him. She held out a steaming mug of fragrant tea to him. It was Jessica.

" May I sit?" He warily nodded his consent and accepted the mug, wondering if she would start giggling. As he took a sip, she began to talk, her face uncharacteristically somber. 

"I saw you fight today, you did well. " He snorted into his tea.

"No, really. You were very brave. "

"Tell my father that. " She pursed her lips in thought.

"He wasn't watching you the whole time. "

" He saw enough. " He sipped his tea slowly, savoring it's rich taste. The healer touched his arm in silent sympathy, before looking at the girl.

"She's beautiful, isn't she? " Unsure how to answer, he paused, glancing over her again. There was something so foreign about her, but not uninviting. Jessica didn't miss his hesitation, and he quickly answered.

"She's definitely...different." Satisfied, Jessica looked at his empty mug.

" That tea had zic root in it, it will give you a dreamless sleep. The relief in Eric's face was evident. He tried to get up and go to leave to his own house, but the tea was already taking affect on him.