The Shifter Underground

Darkness fell around Eric as he was pushed along deeper into the cave, the sea of bodies surrounding him gave no option of escape. Even though the darkness was as unyielding as stone, he felt rather then saw the ceiling rise high above them as the followed the slanting floor downwards. The clamorous noise they made as they sunk even further below the surface echoed louder and louder as more room opened up, becoming almost deafening as all of the army spread out. There was a tightening in Eric's chest that was becoming ever more familiar, and he tried to ignore it as he blindly sought out a wall.

There was a noise of stone being struck against stone, and Eric could see sparks flying from an unseen flint, shineing as bright as stars in the cold black of the cave. A torch sizzled to life and a warm glow chased away the shadows, the general was the one who help it aloft. The tightness in Eric's chest grew as the general stood atop a large boulder and called for attention.

" Some of you be already aware of what I am about to say, and I daresay that not a one of you lads will like it." Eric retreated into the shadows, knowing what was about to happen.

" When we stormed the human village to rescue our captured, we brought back much more then we had anticipated. Living among the humans, Captain Telrin discovered a fellow Netsanii." Eric could hear the whispering growing, and finally pressed against the back wall, trying to hide as the soldiers began to shout out angered questions.

" How could that be?!"

" Did they capture him?!"

" Have the humans fallen so low they have to resort to stealing our children!?"

" What happened?!"

The General raised a single hand for quiet, and the shouting quickly died down as the soldiers waited for their answers expectantly.

" Telrin knows what happened far better then I, We will allow him to explain." Eric couldn't help but but give the General a scornful look as he climbed down from the boulder to give Telrin room. The coward knew the story, but would rather pin the blame elsewhere. A small vine of guilt wormed around in his belly as he watched Telrin climb into place on the large rock and face the crowd. He would bring yet more trouble for Telrin. A few called out happy greetings to the Captain, but most stayed silent, anxiously awaiting his words.

" The Netsanii we found was not stolen away from us, he was born and raised in the human village." More questions were shouted to him, but all fell still when Telrin raised his hand for silence. Eric noticed that it had become quirt far faster then when the General had done the same thing.

" His mother was a full blooded Netsanii, and his father be a human. " The roar of outcry that immediately followed was deafening, it made the inside of Eric's head ring and echo as badly as the cave. Eric could see Telrin's brother Belzin starring up in disbelief at his little brother. Telrin raised his hand again, but the shouting continued as the shifter army grew ever more angry. Eric stopped fighting the gripping sensation on within his chest, and promptly fell forward, landing on two very large golden paws. Surprised that he had actually managed to shift on his own, he almost forgot about the roaring crowd.

" SILENCE!!!" Telrin roared. Many shifters including Eric flinched, and Telrin now held himself in a new, commanding way that Eric had not seen before.

" Women be not allowed to leave the Underground! How did this come to be?! Where is this Netsanii now?!" A particularly small shifter shout up at Telrin. Telrin let his eyes become ever so downcast as the voices started to raise again, and Eric could not help but think of Raiyne. He started to miss her, but then had to force himself to remember the black wolf standing over a little body to try and dismiss the feeling. Braver in his new wolf skin, Eric began to creep back into the crowd.No one even bothered to spare him a glance as he walked among them. Telrin answered with surprising calm, despite the hot and angry voices that were currently hurling demanding questions at him.