✒Chapter 13-The Outskirts

-CHAPTER THIRTEEN-
•The Outskirts•

Jennifer POV (Point of View)

I tried to keep my distant as the mixed breed followed behind me. I'm still unclear of the power he possesses'. He may be an infamous student that everyone seems to fear, but he has no idea of what I'm capable of. Powerful or not, I will take him out if he tries anything.

"We still need to talk," said Charles.

"Alright; what is it?"

"Victor told me you helped us catch that girl. Why did you help us?"

"What she was doing...it wasn't right."

"It's a survival test we're supposed to kill each other."

"That's not a rule that specifically says we have to kill each other-it's a survival test, not a battle to the death. I don't think anyone cared to acknowledge that."

"You have a point. But either way, we were all doomed once we stepped inside this forest. And no matter what all of you Restricted students were everyone's main target. The test was rigged that way.

"That was pretty obvious the day it was announced. But you said the test was rigged-what do you mean by that?"

"She has a map of the entire forest and before the test even started she planted a tracking device of her own inside of that boy."

"Boy...which boy?"

"The blonde one; he has the power to look into the past."

"Argo...? Wait--that was you two that night, the ones who snuck into our sector?"

"Yeah..." I lowered my voice. I had a moment of regret. "I didn't come to this school to be a part of the academy."

"Then why are you here?"

"I was called for a job--something I've been doing all my life."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm...I'm an assassin."

He grew silent. I got the strange feeling that he was staring me down from behind.

"You got a job that involved you having to eventually kill us, right?"

"Yes..."

"So, who else was your target. We couldn't have been the only ones I'd imagine?"

I couldn't answer, not if I wanted to keep things in order. If anyone found out I was the killer, I'd be executed for sure.

"Restriction was my only objective."

We approached the barrier that blocked off access to the hideout; Tank and Casper were standing outside the base, armed and on look-out for any intruders.