35

Maddie

"It's all my fault Maddie. I wasn't thinking. Now I'm alone." Victoria said.

I rubbed her back as she cried. I've been here for a couple of days with Victoria. I decided to stay awhile because I wanted to help her out. Odell left a couple of days ago. He packed all of his things and took the kids too, but that's doesn't mean he'll keep them away from her.

"Victoria it's okay. We just need to take it a step at a time. It's time for you to get yourself together."

"I know I acted a fool, I was hurting. And I feel like nobody understands. I lost my mother."

"I understand Victoria." I pulled back and dried her eyes. "Now first things first. This lil Toya chick, you need to leave her alone."

She nodded. "And second, your gonna stop taking those pills. Hand them over."

She grabbed her purse and handed the bag to me.

"Good." I said.

I walked into the bathroom and flushed them down the toilet. I walked back in. I took her to the doctor a few days ago and everything was okay. There wasn't any damage done.

"Do you want to do rehab? Just to make sure." I asked.

"I do but I don't want to stay there. I'd rather do it here."

"Well I'll speak to someone about that. It's time." I rubbed her shoulder.

"It is. Thanks sis." She hugged me and I hugged her back.

Odell

"Yo O, what's up? It seems like something is bothering you." Victor said.

"It's nothing." I said slipping on my cleats.

"Why you lying man? I know when your upset. Tell me what's up."

I looked around the empty locker room and started to tell him what's been going on. It was about time that I got this off my chest.

"Damn. Well, I'm praying for you man. I hope things get better."

"Thanks."

He gave me a brotherly hug and we headed out to the field. I must say, it didn't feel the same without Victoria here. But it's best if we have time apart.

-a few weeks later-

Mimi

I sat at the table across from Michael and my kids. I really missed being home with them, but I needed to do this.

"So how is everything at home? Your being good for your dad huh?" I asked my babygirl.

"Yes mommy." She said.

I smiled. "That's good."

"And how are you?" I asked Michael.

"I'm good. I miss you." He grabbed a hold of my hand.

"I miss you too. Only a few weeks left and I'll be home."

"But that's too long." Payton whined.

"It'll be over before you know it." I pinched her cheek and she smiled. "Alright."

After 15 minutes were up, I hugged them and walked to the back. I made my way to the counselor's office. I walked in and sat down.

"Hello Miranda. How have you been?" Ms. Lori asked.

"I'm good." I smiled.

"That's good. I've noticed that you've gotten way better than you were before you got here. Your making good progress." She said.

"Yeah. All thanks to you and my doctors." I shrugged.

"So how is your family?"

Yeah I told Ms. Lori about my family and what we've been going through.

"We're getting better. My oldest sister is up in New York with my baby sister, my brother should be getting out soon, and my other brother is getting his life back on track."

"I'm happy to hear that." She nodded. "I can't imagine what you all have been going through."

"Yeah it's been hard. I shouldn't have turned to drinking either. But I'm happy that I'm getting better. The people in this place are nice, but I'm ready to leave."

She chuckled. "I know you are."

Ms. Lori and I talked for a while before it was time for me to leave.