Chapter 3: Conditions (Prim)

Rory is alive.

He called a ceasefire.

His wish remains- he's trying to keep me alive.

The games are still on.

I must become the mockingjay.

I stare blankly at the ceiling as thoughts float through my mind. I'm supposed to be sleeping but I just can't. I've accepted it'll be a sleepless night already. I pull out the pearl from my pocket and rub it against my cheek. It's cold and smooth. It is a constant reminder of Rory and I wish he could be here with me in person. There are so many things I haven't said to him yet and I don't know how long he'll live.

"Prim," Katniss whispers, sitting up. "Why are you awake, go to sleep."

"I can't," I tell her, scooting closer to her.

"Why not?"

"I don't know, just a lot of things to think about. And um...I've decided I'm going to be the mockingjay."

She sits quietly for a moment then tilts her head. "Do you really want to do this? You aren't just giving in to the pressure?"

I shrug. "Do I have a choice? I mean, I have to do it, and I want to do it."

Katniss eyes me warily but soon turns her suspicious look into a grin.

"My sister is more important than me now, eh?" Katniss jokes. I just smile and blush. I never meant to become this big of a person.

"You know, important people get what they want," Katniss says. "If you're worried about Rory well...you could keep him alive."

"I can?"

"Yeah, of course. Give a few conditions when becoming the mockingjay including his immunity."

I give this a thought.

"You really think it could work?"

"They need you, and they'll do anything to have you on their team."

"Thanks Katniss, that's a really good idea. But how do we know they won't back out?"

We both stay silent for a moment. There cannot be any loopholes in this operation.

"I'll have to do it in public, that way that they can't back out," I say after consideration.

She nods. "Good idea, I'll come and help. Now you should go to bed."

"Okay, thanks, good night Katniss."

"Good night Primrose."

The next morning I get my schedule, which tells me to have breakfast and then Command 30 minutes later. I meet up with Katniss and we walk to the cafeteria together. We sit at our assigned table with the Everdeens and Hawthornes. Little Posy and Vick are already there with Hazelle.

"Hello Hazelle, how are you?" I ask politely as I take a seat with my tray. Breakfast is the usual- hot grain, milk, and a small cup of vegetables or fruit. Today we have turnips.

"I'm doing well for someone who's lost two children the last few months, thank you," Hazelle replies with a sigh. It must be hard for her. That reminds me of Gale, wondering what could have happened to him. Katniss must be hurting inside. She never mentions it though. She's never been the type to openly share how she feels.

"Mom, I'm still hungry," Vick complains. His tray is empty and we all know he can't get seconds. No one ever does. Portions are strictly given according to age, height, and work required each day. Vick is small and doesn't work much. But that doesn't mean he doesn't get hungry. I scrape off some of my food for him, receiving a look from his mother and a pleased smile from the little boy.