Chapter 20: Ryker Dare

Can a person cheat in algebra?

You could if it wasn't in relationship form, I grumbled back to Axel.

"Now everyone, I want you all to focus on defense. Remember, the better the defense, the better you can do at offense. Begin!" I watched with hidden amazement as everybody watched Kei with absolute adoration, completely enamored by her.

Two weeks had now passed since I had run into her in the woods, and these two weeks were Heaven on earth. She had stayed firm about me getting my own room but after long hours of doing extra work with the pack and trying to locate the rogue's hideout, I would come back to my own room and find her sleeping in my bed with the light on, waiting for me to come back. On the very few nights that I was able to relax, Kei and I would usually sit on the couch and watch a movie with her snuggled in my arms, her laugh dancing in my ears as we joked. Or in her case, she would listen while asking me what was going on. Her humorous mood however was nowhere to be seen at this moment.

She stood tall with her hands on her hips, and expression of cool calculation while her eyes scanned the sea of bodies fighting against each other. Times like these that I forget that our little mate can't see. I sighed quietly before turning back to my own group of trainees. They were older, all of them around mid-twenties and I noticed with slight pride to see them doing well.

"Everyone, take a break." They all stopped and turned their heads to look at me, bowing slightly before chattering with each other as they made their way towards a cluster of trees to get out of the sun. I glanced one last time towards Kei before turning to go back into the house. I heard the sounds of giggling voices and childlike squeals come from somewhere inside the house, the sounds emitting from the opposite direction that I was heading. I didn't knock as I entered the room. Alpha Hale sat rigid in his chair, his eyes guarded while staring at the man who was the exact opposite. With his relaxed posture and easy going smile, you would have thought the two were old friends. Yet, appearances were deceiving.

"Well, if it isn't the Alpha King. Come to save the day?" The man sounded smug for whatever reason.

"It won't be your day that I'm saving, Thomas." My whole mood hardened as I stared at the man. Thomas Lowe simply smiled.

"Don't be like that. Here I thought we were all friends?" Brad and I shared a look.

"I think King and I share the same common interest and that would be our dislike of you." I raised an eyebrow at the alpha, surprised at his brutal honesty. Thomas chuckled and leaned back relaxed into the chair.

"Ouch. You wound me, truly you do. Fine, I don't have any particular like for any of you either so you can imagine I'm not here for niceties," his expression turned serious. "Instead, let's talk about the roach problem we all seem to have." I leaned against the wall besides the doorway, crossing my arms and looking at him coolly.

"I'm not surprised that they have also reached your part of the woods. You seem to attract other bastards like a magnet," I remarked. He sent me a sarcastic smile.

"Well, you've seem to have gotten a sense of humor from the last time I've seen you in about fifty years. Don't tell me, you found your mate." My expression remained passive.

"No I haven't." I would rather face off a whole army by myself rather than tell him. This man and I have butted heads countless times over the years and we both each have mutual dislike for one another. This caused us both to avoid each other like the plague unless it was absolutely necessary.

"I feel sorry for the poor woman who is yours. Who would want to deal with your uptight ass all the time?" He snickered to himself and my glower only intensified  as did my dislike. Probably feeling my increasing murderous intent, Alpha Hale cleared his throat and began to speak.