1: Consenting Age

*i don't own anything , inspired by "But It's Better If You Do" by Panic! At The Disco off of A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (2005)
Pure fiction, set in the 20s, which I think is when the video is set?*

*i don't own anything , inspired by "But It's Better If You Do" by Panic! At The Disco off of A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (2005)Pure fiction, set in the 20s, which I think is when the video is set?*

I'm freshly eighteen and eligible for working at the dance club a block from my New York apartment.

I had to work, not only to provide for myself but also for my brother Benjamin. It's wrong to dance for men, I know, but you gotta do what you need to to make money.

"You're the youngest and most beautiful dancer I have now, Lauren. Make me proud." My boss, Calvin Richards smiled with his hand on my shoulder and a cigar in his mouth.

I forced a smile back. "I'll try my best, Mr. Richards."

He puffed his cigar and blew the smoke out of the corner of his mouth. "No, call me Calvin sweet heart." He warmly grinned.

My family didn't know about my new job. They'd be disappointed in me and they could never know. My parents passed a few years back and my brother and I were left alone with all of my father's gambling debts.

They died in a fire in our old house. Everything burned. All our furniture, our money, our memories.

We lived on the streets for awhile until we earned enough money to pay for a shabby apartment in the less fortunate part of New York City. The city of dreams turned into a city of nightmares for us. It's a city of sin.

"I wouldn't be caught dead in this place." I mumbled as I pushed open the back door to return to home, my run down apartment.