Ch 54: Heartbroken

Damian:

I watched helplessly as Ashley's body crumpled to the dirt floor, her body going completely still. Her mother was at her side immediately, tears trailing down her cheeks.
"Damian." I looked up to see my fathers terrified face.
My legs had given out, I realized as I stared up at his towering form.
My ears were ringing making it hard to hear what he was saying, my eyes becoming heavy.
I vaguely heard yelling and saw Dante, Lance and Ash trying to block a large wolf from coming near me.
Chris.
He had attacked me as soon as I'd stepped foot out of my car. Completely caught off guard I barely had a chance to dodge his attack.
I felt something dribble down my chin and watched as red liquid landed on the floor. Blood. The metallic scent filled the air around me as I felt the numbness take over.

   My father was saying something but it was becoming increasingly hard to keep my eyes open.
His eyes were wide with fright, his face ghastly pale. He had only looked like that once before. The day he held my mothers dead body in his arms.
The blackness consumed me.
I came to and fro, losing track of time before unconsciousness took me once more. At one point I thought I heard children crying but I must have hallucinated.
My eyelids fluttered open, feeling dry and gritty. The room around me was unknown to me.
"Thank gosh you're up." I looked to my right, to see my father standing by the window. He rushed to my side immediately a worried look on his face.
"What's going on ?" My voice sounded raspy to my ears.
He handed me a cup of water from which I drank greedily.
He took the cup from me and sat it on a nearby table.
"What do you remember ?" He asked.

  I closed my eyes, images flashing behind my eyelids.
"Blood ." I said my thoughts hazy "I was bleeding."
My fathers mouth thinned into an angry line.
"You lost a lot of blood." A tick started up in his jaw "Chris let his anger get the better of him."
"Chris attacked me?"I asked shocked. The shock soon replaced by dread.
There is only one reason he would be that angry.
"He knows." My father said as if reading my mind.
I laid against the pillow, my mind whirling with emotions. I was fucked. Chris wouldn't let me anywhere near Ashley, now. Let alone stay on his territory.
"Ashley fainted ." I sat up right, wincing slightly as I felt pain on my chest. I looked down to see gauze taped against my bare chest hiding what we're sure to be claw marks. "How long have I been out ? How's Ashley ?"
"You've been out a little more than a day. " my father replied his eyes on the floor "Ashley's fine. She was just really surprised."

  I could only imagine. After eight months of being gone I was the last person she expected to see.
"I need to talk her, see her." I sat up yanking out the needles in my arm. The machines immediately went off.
My father blocked my way as the door revealed Doctor Amy.
"Sit down." She commanded and I complied "how are you feeling ?"
She shined her little flashlight in my eyes before pressing her stethoscope to my chest.
"Chest hurts a little but other than that fine." I replied impatiently.
She nodded her head and wrapped the stethoscope around her neck.
"You should be fine in a few more hours. Those gashes were very deep and you lost a lot of blood. " she frowned " It's a good thing your father was here for s blood transfusion ."
I looked up at my father who seemed to have aged years. He had worry lines bracketing his mouth and dark circles beneath his eyes.
"Thank you." I replied as my father and Amy nodded "Can I leave ?"

  She hesitated slightly before looking back at my father.
"I'll leave you two alone to talk." She said before walking out of the room, the room settling into silence.
I turned to my father.
"What's going on ? "
He fidgeted in place before sitting back down. His blue eyes met mine.
"Chris's orders, you can't leave. There are two guards stationed outside the door. " he shook his head in aggravation "I don't exactly appreciate him treating you like this, but we are on his territory and if we want to stay here we need to follow them."
"I understand." I replied.
My father stood up and began pacing, wave after wave of anger coming off of him.