Chapter 3

Chapter 3

When Abby woke early the next morning, she was surprised to find she was still dressed and lying on top of the bed covers. Someone must have come in and pulled a blanket over her, but she had been dead to the world. She was grateful that Helen and Mary had left her alone the night before. She just needed to think things through on her own, and get over the shock of the news that she was pregnant. Her hand automatically rubbed her belly as she thought of the baby growing inside it. 

Before she had drifted off to sleep, she had made up her mind that she wanted to keep the baby, whether Gabe was in her life or not. She understood the risks to her still healing body, but they were ones she was willing to take. Now all she had to do was convince Helen and Mary that she was right, and think of the best way to tell Gabe. She wanted to make sure he still wanted her in his life, before she told him about the baby though. There was no way she would let him stay with her out of duty. She had to convince him that she could handle all the hassle that came along with his lifestyle. No doubt there would be other Cherylynn's trying to get there claws into him. But she was feeling stronger and she was a fighter, she was fed up feeling like a victim and she was going to stand up for herself. With a decisive nod of her head she climbed out of bed and made her way to the bathroom. Stripping off her clothes, she stepped into the shower and sighed in appreciation as the multitude of nozzles massaged her body. Sliding a finger over the controls for the music, she smiled as Gabe's voice blasted out of the speakers.

Helen and Mary were sat in the kitchen chatting when Abby walked in grinning.  

She could see the tension on their faces as they looked at her, and she laughed. 

"It's ok you two I'm fine, no need to look so worried. I know Helen has told you everything Mary, I wouldn't expect anything less from my best friend. I've made up my mind that I'm keeping the baby, with or without Gabe." 

This comment brought forth gasps and arguments from the two women, neither willing to let the other make her point. Abby raised her hand. "Stop!" 

Helen and Mary stopped mid-sentence, and looked at Abby in shock. 

Abby sat down at the breakfast bar opposite them. "I know there are a lot of reasons not to have the baby and yes it could affect my recovery. But I have made up my mind, I want this baby." 

Helen shook her head and Mary sighed. 

"I want you both to promise me one thing." Abby looked at them both expectantly. 

They just sat in stunned silence, waiting to hear what she had to say. 

"You have to swear that you won't tell Gabe, or Pod about this." She looked pointedly at Helen when she mentioned the guitarist. 

Helen tried to appear as if she didn't have a clue what Abby was insinuating, but her slight blush at the mention of Pod's name, gave her away. 

"But my dear, Gabe has a right to know."  

"I know Mary and I will tell him, but I need to fix our relationship first. So please, just promise you won't say anything for now?" 

"Well, we seem to have a new and improved Abby on our hands." Mary chuckled. 

"That's right, and this Abby is not going to take any shit from anyone." 

"Good for you, I'm glad to hear it." Mary gave her a hug. 

"Yeah, you go girl." Helen held up her hand for a high five and Abby slapped it hard. 

"Ouch! You weren't kidding when you said you were stronger." Helen moaned as she rubbed her hand. 

"Hmmm and I'm starving, what's for breakfast Mary?" The older woman grinned and rubbed her hands. "Anything you want my dear, just name it." 

"I could murder a full English." Abby said wistfully 

"Your wish is my command." Mary clapped her hands as she stood up and started pulling out pans. 

"So, are you going to contact Gabe?" Helen asked as she turned to face her friend. 

"I want to, but I'm not sure what to say. He looked so hurt when he left me at the hospital, he might have decided I'm not worth the trouble." Abby sighed and put her head in her hands. 

Helen laid a hand on her shoulder as she spoke. "I'm sure he hasn't, Pod told me he just sits in his room after gigs. He says he's just going through the motions on stage, but his hearts not in it at all." 

Abby sighed and lifted her head. "I hate the thought of him sitting alone in his room. I wish I could go to him." 

"There's still a chance you'll be able to fly out towards the end of the tour, you could surprise him." Helen suggested. 

"I hope so. Anyway, enough about me, what's going on between you and Pod?" she raised an eyebrow and smirked at Helen. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Helen's colour rose in her cheeks again and she looked away from Abby. 

"Well, you seem to be in contact with him a lot. And every time I mention his name you blush." Abby teased. 

Helen started fiddling with her phone that was lying on the counter. 

"Come on Helen, spill it." 

"It's nothing really, just a bit of flirting on the phone, that's all." 

"Yeah right. It's obvious to me that you have feelings for the guy. Just be careful Helen, Pod's a sweet guy but he's a heartbreaker, I wouldn't want you to get hurt." 

"Don't worry about me, I can handle Pod. The question is can he handle me?" Abby nearly choked on her tea at Helen's remark. 

"Oh boy, I can't wait to watch this unfold. I could do with a bit of light relief." She giggled. 

Helen nudged her elbow in annoyance, but couldn't help the grin that spread across her face. 

"Oh I almost forgot, the guys are on MTV tonight, are you going to watch it?"  

Abby's smile faded a little as she thought about seeing Gabe on the TV, she'd missed him so much. She took a deep breath and blew it out slowly. 

"Yes, let's watch it together. I need to see how he's coping. and it might help me work out what I need to say to him." 

Helen was about to say she didn't have to watch it if was going to upset her, but was interrupted by Mary. 

"Here you go girls, get that down you." She said as she placed two plates on the counter, full of sausage, eggs, bacon, beans and tomatoes. 

"Good grief Mary, I know I said I was hungry but I'm not sure I can eat all this." Abby exclaimed. 

"Just remember you're eating for two now, you need to keep your strength up, so tuck in. I won't settle for anything less than clean plates." She stood with her hands on her hips and attempted to scowl at her, but burst into laughter at the look of dismay on Abby's face. 

"Oh Abby, you should see the look on your face. Just eat what you can, that's all I ask." She patted her hand and went to start washing up. 

"That woman is going to kill me with kindness." Abby muttered as she took a fork full of bacon.