Lily

James and I continued to date. Elizabeth and Thomas continued to be engaged, not wanting to rush through their final year at Hogwarts. Finally, it came time for my time of the year, Christmas. It was early December when I began the festivities. I planned to decorate the Head's Common Room with holly, ribbon, tinsel, wreaths, candy canes, paper snowflakes, and little Christmas trees. I had already placed candy placed in bowls all over the room. The one thing I purposely forgot, was mistletoe. This did not go unnoticed by James like I had hoped. 

"Lils, it looks like you forgot something when planning," James observed while helping me decorate. 

"Mmm? What?" I ask most of my attention focused on the paper snowflakes I was cutting.

"Mistletoe." He said grabbing the finished stack of snowflakes and hanging them from the ceiling. 

"No, I don't like mistletoe," I stated, hanging wreaths on the hooks James had placed earlier. 

"Why not?" James asked, still hanging snowflakes. 

"Bad memories. James, can you use your wand to hang the tinsel from the ceiling when you're down with the snowflakes?" I ask him, watching him like a hawk to make sure he doesn't make any mistakes. 

"Sure. Do something else. I won't mess up. What type of memories?" I walk over to one of the trees we placed yesterday and began decorating it with glittering ornaments. 

"James, I don't want to talk about it. No mistletoe. That's final. Got it?" I answer harshly, he frowns.

"What aren't you telling me Lily?" He asks I start to get mad and squeeze the ornament in my hand. 

"James. No. Not today." I say, even harsher than before. 

"Lily, why not?" He asks, then it happens. 

The ornament  I am currently holding smashes into a million pieces. The little, glass shards embedding themselves in my hand. I let out a little gasp, but hold back my tears. James isn't looking because he's focused on the ceiling. I decide not to bother him with this. "James, I have to go," I say, then I rush out of the room. 

I rush down to the Hospital Wing, blood gushing down my arm. I run into the room and find Madam Pomfrey in her office. I knock on the door with my good hand. She takes one look at my bleeding hand and rushes me to a bed. She immediately examines my hand. 

"Lily, whatever did you do?" She asks me, I close my eyes since the room was spinning slightly. 

"Well, James and I were decorating the Head's Common Room and I was putting ornaments on a little tree. He was pestering me for an answer to a question that he asked, that I didn't feel like answering. I told him no. He kept asking and I got mad. I squeezed the ornament and it broke. I rushed down here as fast as possible. Madam Pomfrey, why is the room spinning?" I ask her, she smiles sadly. 

"Lily, you've lost a lot of blood, blood carries oxygen. So when you lose blood you're losing oxygen. Now, Lily, I have to dig the shards out of your hand. This is going to hurt, you have a couple options: try to cope with it, or I can give you medicine that will put you to sleep. I cannot verify that you won't feel the pain, though. I can also give you anesthetics and sleep you. This will result in you not being able to work your muscles or feel anything, including the pain, as well as sleeping. Or I can just give you anesthetics. Which would you prefer?" She asks me, I listen with as much attention as possible which isn't much since I'm currently trying not to faint. 

"Um... the last option because there is a high possibility of me fainting anyway." She nods and gives me the shot. The last thing I remember is her face smiling at me.