Chapter 20-Paint It, Black

The darkness swelled around me, my body was light almost as if it was floating, suspended in air. 

My eyes were closed but as soon as I felt my body sink they opened. The darkness faded to a swirl of colors that were so vibrant I found myself hating them as the vibrancy caused my eyes to water and ache. 

I turned my head as I felt myself standing as I looked around the colors swirled as I stared at my bare feet I frowned as I placed my hands on my stomach and pulled them away, crimson liquid covered my fingertips but even then I felt nothing. 

I lifted my head as the colors faded to darkness once more before a white light burst all around causing me to cover my eyes and smearing my blood on my face. As the light faded I heard a voices screaming out to me, begging for me to hurry or to wake up. There were men and women and even children that were screaming at me.

The voices all shouted various things, the men and women were begging me to wake up to come back to them. The children screamed for me to run to join them and in the light I saw a figure of a young boy no older than ten standing in mud covered clothes as his shaggy blond hair was dirty and clung to his forehead. 

His arm was outstretched towards me and his golden eyes burned with fear as his mouth opened and he screamed for me to take his hand. My body moved forward, my blood soaked hand reaching out for his hand as I realized it was Jace. 

The moment my arm reached his I felt myself feel smaller and I realized that I was a child once more. With my hand tightly grasped in his he turned and ran, dragging me with him as the space around us changed to a forest and I could feel my legs shaking as we ran. 

"Jarolyn! Wake Up!" A man's voice screams, echoing through the forest and I tug on Jace's hand pulling him to a stop as I look around. 

"Come on Jarolyn! We have to go!" Young Jace screamed as he tugged on my hand but I shook my head. The man's voice sounded familiar and full of worry as if something was very wrong. 

"Jonathan no! Something's wrong!" My ten year old voice called as I shook my head furiously. 

"Jarolyn Crystal if we don't move they are going to kill us!" Young Jace screamed as he gripped my wrist and tugged me forwards. 

Hearing my full name caused me to shake my head and rip my arm from him, Jace and I had agreed to never speak our full names, our father always called us by them and when he died and we were taken in by the Lightwoods we agreed to not speak of them. 

"This is a dream but why am I dreaming? Why was I bleeding?" I muttered as Young Jace continued to scream for me to run but the more I focused the clearer I could hear the voice, it was Magnus. The second I thought of his name I saw him standing in front of me and we were in the living room. 

"Luke is dying and I can't heal you both, Jarolyn you have to wake up and heal Luke! Wake up!" Magnus screamed as he gripped my shoulders a look of fatigue and fear in his golden eyes. 

I shook my head, I didn't understand what he was talking about I felt a shooting pain fill my stomach and I doubled over as a scream left my lips and my hands flew to my stomach as more blood dripped through my fingertips. The pain was excruciating and I could feel hot metal at the center of the wound but I didn't understand what it was or why I was so badly hurt. 

"You're remembering, Jarolyn you're healed JUST  WAKE UP" Magnus screamed as I laid on the floor blood pooling around me and trickling down my lips as I coughed. He had to be lying, if I had been healed why was I still bleeding? 

"WAKE UP, WAKE UP, WAKE UP," He screamed over and over again as I felt my eyes drift closed as pain and fear washed over me. What was happening? Why was he screaming, Magnus never screamed. 

"Jarolyn, if you can hear me I need you to wake up, I- I need my little sister okay. I-I can't do this on my own, I can't help Clary or Luke or anyone, I need you. Please, please come back to me." Jace's voice filled my head as Magnus's voice faded away. I struggled to open my eyes to call out to my brother but a wave of pain washed over me and I screamed. "

I know we're not close or anything but you've done so much for me, please, Jarolyn I need you to wake up, Jace needs you and so does Izzy and Magnus and Simon, please" Clary's voice was soft, not as loud as Jace or Magnus's but still I couldn't speak. 

I pressed harder on my wound as more blood gushed out and I screamed fear and confusion clouded my thoughts as I heard Simon and Izzy calling my name but their voices were even softer than Clary's. 

"I need you, my Anima Alerum." Magnus's voice was softer this time, not at all loud as he had been. I moaned as I felt the pain slowly fade and the darkness began to fill my thoughts once again. 

However I heard their voices all at once I  could hear them shouting but they weren't shouting at me, they were shouting and blaming one another. I sucked in a deep breath of air as I pushed myself up onto shaky hands.

 "Stop," I whispered, my voice was scratchy and pain filled my body, almost as if the pain didn't want me to speak or to get up. But hearing my friends and family screaming so harshly at one another pushed me to sit up. 

"Stop," My voice was now low not at all a whisper but still not loud enough. 

I stood on shaky legs as my finger tips began to give off green sparks. I felt my magic course through my veins as I heard an unfamiliar man's voice scream for me to stop and for me to stay down. I rolled my shoulders as I felt my eyes glow. 

"STOP!" I screamed, my body jolting forward and all eyes were focused on me. I blinked as I looked around the room, I had been lying on the sofa and in the kitchen, lying on a wooden table was Luke. 

He was shirtless and I could see deep long gashes running across his chest and stomach. Without thinking I stood and made my way over to him, his eyes were open and they glowed as he was half transformed. 

I frowned and placed my left hand on hsi forehead and shoved him back onto the table as I let my right hand hover over his chest as a green mist formed from my palms and entered his body. I blocked everyone and everything out as I focused on healing him, not at all questioning whether or not what I was doing was wrong. I simply knew that if I didn't hurry for focus, Luke would die.