Chapter 2

Alya stood onstage speaking to the women that filled the room as Ruckus stood at her side. Malik stood off to the side making sure the men around her were on alert as they should be. When he saw one getting too relaxed he alerted Dedria via text and she relayed his message via earpieces.

He took a cautious glance at Alya as a woman asked a question and she smiled to the audience, causing Malik to stare at her. She was gorgeous. He watched her move toward her book poster and motion over the battered body of the woman on the cover.

She spoke into the mic, "As you all know, Lisa, in Tattered was a sex slave. Now it took a lot to write the scenes but what I wanted to get across wasn't the raunchy sex scenes." The audience laughed briefly. "It was that no matter what happened to Lisa she never gave up hope. She knew she had to save herself and her baby or die trying. I'm sure that definitely the women of abusive lifestyles can relate to the fight or die situation she was in. And I'm sure that like her if death comes knocking you won't give in without a fight. So really I wasn't writing a sex book. I was writing a survival story. I'm sure we all can relate to that."

They clapped at her answer and she looked to Dedria who shot her a thumbs up. Malik stared at her. It was something about her that led him to believe there was more to her than they were all seeing. After a few more minutes the questions were wrapped and Alya was escorted offstage as the women filed in line to head out the door.

Malik glanced behind the curtain and saw Dedria hugging Alya and frowned when he saw Alya's back shake slightly. He knew she was crying. But he wanted to know why. She'd killed it onstage. So why was she upset?

He hurried and looked away as she made her way toward him after wiping her eyes. She smiled to him as he helped her down the stairs.

"Thanks so much for the help," she said as they headed for the restaurant up the hallway.

"It was my pleasure," he responded as he placed her hand in the bend of his arm, escorting her.

"I felt much safer this time," she confessed.

"I didn't have to be Superman," he joked eliciting a laugh from her.

He swore she had the most beautiful laugh. She looked at him with those twinkling chocolate brown eyes and stopped walking.

"Seriously, I would never ask that of you," she said staring directly up into his eyes.

It hurt him slightly for some reason. Well more so his ego. Did she not think him capable? Did she not know who he was? Well that was a stupid question. No one here knew who he was. And he planned to keep it that way. He began walking again and followed her lead to their table for three where Dedria already sat. He pulled out Alya's chair and allowed her to sit before pushing it in slightly and taking his seat.

Dedria looked between the two with a scowl before clearing her throat to gain their attention.

"It was nice having you here Mr. Taylor," she began. "Your flight home leaves at noon tomorrow."

Alya fidgetted with her necklace as she said, "It won't feel the same without you there. But I trust the men you've picked out."

Dedria stood abruptly, gaining concerned looks from the both of them.

"I'm suddenly a little queasy," she lied before rushing out the dining area.

Malik looked to Alya as he smiled and said, "I guess it's dinner for two. Hope you like meat. I ordered everyone steak a few minutes before you finished. It should be on its way out. Maybe Ruckus can have the third?"

She laughed as Ruckus perked up.

"I don't feed him cooked meat," she explained earning a huff from Ruckus which made she and Malik laugh out loud.

"Well take it to-go to your room," he suggested.

She nodded and right on time the steaks came out and the third was taken back for a to-go order. She sat talking to Malik over their steaks and dessert and two glasses of wine for hours. By the time they rose to head to their rooms three hours had gone by. Alya allowed Ruckus a chance to go and pee outside before heading to the elevators with Malik by their side.

Once they reached their floor she smiled to him as he said, "I'll escort you to your door."

He walked down to her door and smiled to her. She had to lean against the door as her feet throbbed in her shoes. He noticed the slight look of pain on her face and noticed she shuffled her feet a little. He stepped up to her causing Ruckus to growl quietly. She snapped and he returned to sitting down. Malik held her hand as he leaned down and removed each of her heels.

"Thank God," she huffed exasperated.

He smiled as he handed them to her and said, "Let's go inside. I'll give you a little foot rub before I go to my room."

She hesitated slightly before agreeing and leading the way into her spacious suite. She sent Ruckus to his bed before sitting on the couch as Malik turned on the TV and muted it. He tossed a throw blanket over her knees, not wanting to expose her underwear from under her dress. Then, he lifted her legs onto his lap.

He began to massage her right foot and she moaned almost instantly. Malik had to fight to keep his erection at bay because the sound was by far the most erotic noise he'd ever heard. She rested her head on the couch with her eyes closed as he worked his fingers.

"Talk to me," he called to her.

She smiled and began to make conversation. Soon a simple foot rub turned into a foot and calf massage as they talked some more. Before either of them knew it they were asleep on the couch. Malik with his head against the back of the couch & Alya with hers on the arm of the couch.

Queen Latifah pictured as Dedria