Chapter 1 (part 2)

(Malik)

Malik walked in his home with sweat trickling down his chest and back as his grandmother, Gram, walked downstairs with his six year old daughter, Hayden, trudging behind her. He smiled as she yawned and groaned heavily.

"Gram, I'm still sleepy," she whined. "It's summer time! Why I gotta get up now?"

Gram just shook her head and continued into the kitchen. He rushed upstairs to his master suite and took a nice hot shower to wash off his morning jog and their on a suit. He had to hurry before Gram finished breakfast. He slipped down the stairs and smiled as he entered his dining area.

"Good morning Daddy," Hayden shouted with a grin as he sat down.

He looked at her with his head cocked. She was too giddy all of a sudden. He wondered what she wanted and waited for her to ask or tell him whatever was on her brain. She grinned for awhile longer before she finally spoke up.

"I'm ready for a mommy," she blurted before stuffing her bite of pancake into her little mouth.

Malik's mouth fell open and he heard Gram drop a pot over in the sink. He looked to her then back at his daughter. It wasn't so much that she craved a mother figure he didn't think. Gram should've been enough. He thought she could've been asking for her real mother to come back.

But Janice, was long gone. She'd dropped two year old Hayden off with him for his week back when he was a New Jersey kingpin and never come back for her. After realizing he didn't want a relationship with her she cut her losses, meaning Hayden, and bounced. Not that he cared. He just moved his grandma in and continued with his life as normal. Minus the different women every other night.

"Daddy!"

Malik jumped slightly and looked over Hayden who now wore a scowl.

"I want a mommy," she said with a slight I know you hear me tone. "When can I get one?"

Malik took a bite of bacon and chewed it slowly. He didn't know how to respond at first. He was trying to buy time. When the words popped in his head he swallowed his bacon. He sipped his water and faced his daughter directly.

"It's not that easy," he began. "Uh - Poochie, I can't just buy you a mom. I have to meet a woman, date her and get to know her. I have to make sure she's a good enough woman for my very special princess. It takes time to do all that. It's not just an overnight thing. You understand?"

She slouched back in her seat and grumbled, "I'll never get a mommy. You don't even go meet girls."

Gram walked over and said, "Everything happens in it's own time, Poochie. We can't rush these things. But your father will get you a mommy. Because I want more grand babies."

With that she darted a look his way. He rubbed his neck awkwardly. Way to be subtle Gram. He cleared his throat and stood from the table as he checked his Rolex for the time.

"Well," he coughed nervously. "I have to get going to be on time for this meeting in Greenville. It's a long drive."

Before either could protest he was on his way out the door. He rushed to his Bentley and hopped in as he adjusted his tie looking in the rearview mirror. He took a calm breath before starting his car and pulling down his circular driveway.

An hour later he was pulling up to his destination. He pulled up to valet and took a ticket from him before walking into the office building. He walked over to the front desk and smiled as she looked up to him in shock.

"I have a meeting with-"

His sentence was cut short when someone brushed past him, sending him into alert.

"Excuse me! I'm sorry!"

He could smell a faint fruity aroma as he looked after the woman headed toward the elevators followed by a big ass dog with a fancy collar. He smirked thinking it was odd to see a woman her size with such a big dog. The woman in front of him cleared her throat.

He looked back to her and cleared his throat before continuing, "A Ms. Dedria Parks. She wanted me to meet with her client."

She typed as she said, "I see a Mr. Malik Taylor. That was actually her that just passed. I'll ring her and let her know you're here. It's the tenth floor and to the left."

He nodded and headed up. He was soon standing outside the door of Dedria Parks. He could hear women talking as he knocked. The door eased open and he immediately saw the huge dog. So obviously the woman he'd saw from behind was Dedria. He stepped in and there she was holding the door open as another tall woman busied herself watering a couple plants.

Malik extended his hand to the woman before him as he said, "I'm Malik Taylor. It's nice to put a name to the face Miss Parks."

The chocolate beauty shook his hand politely as she said, "Nice to meet you Mr. Taylor. But wrong face to the name. That's Dedria Parks. I'm Alya Wright."

He smiled, embarrassed and nodded as he said, "Sorry Miss Wright."

He walked over to Dedria and shook her hand as they both chuckled lightly. He turned to see the dog had moved over to the side of Alya. She sat in a nearby leather chair and the dog lay in front of her with his eyes on Malik.

"So," Dedria called out as she sat behind her desk. "Since we've all met now. Mr. Taylor, my client needs you to tell her if she has a case for severing the contract for her book tour. She was promised a barrier between her and her audience and security as well. Her fans can get a little-"

"Out of control," Alya interrupted.

Dedria smiled as she continued, "Yes. Well not only did they not have her barrier, but their so-called security looked more like a bunch of nursing home guards. Old and barely able to move. If it wasn't for her personal guard, Ruckus there, my client would've been ripped off the stage by a fan that wanted a piece of her hair!"

Malik noticed Dedria's change in tone and looked to Alya as she touched her hair then looked to the dog. Malik nodded as he then realized why she had such a huge dog.

He looked back to Dedria as he responded, "I wouldn't suggest discontinuing her tour. It'd reflect bad on her. And I'm sure she doesn't want that."

He looked to Alya as she stood and walked over to a window as she said, "Dee - I mean Miss Parks - I can't do that. There are a lot of women waiting to see me. They'd be devastated and out of their hard earned money."

"So what do you suggest," Dedria ask Malik.

He sent her an email from his phone as he said, "I just emailed you a list of security personnel that could be an option for the rest of the tour and I'll even show up to check them out personally the next couple shows."

Dedria nodded in satisfaction and Malik looked to Alya. She only shrugged a shoulder. He looked to Ruckus who stood against her legs. He wondered how alert the dog was. Had to be well trained to know who and what to protect her from and when.

He cleared his throat and stood as Dedria extended her hand and said, "We'll let you know when to meet us at the airport. We go to every show on the company jet and Ruckus will be on board. So if you have anyone coming with you then I need to know now."

Malik shook his head no and turned to shake Alya's hand, gaining a slight step forward from Ruckus as he watched their hands wrap around each other. He smirked to the dog and turned to head out the door he'd come in. Closing it behind him he thought about Alya. She seemed soft spoken but also feisty. If that makes sense. He liked it though.

Christian Keyes pictured as Malik