Chapter 23

“She’s fading! We’ve gotta get her in the OR stat!” The paramedic shouted to a nurse as we were running into the hospital.

“We have one prepped and ready, let’s get her up.” The doctor said.

The team took Kate’s gurney and loaded into an elevator. A nurse walked over to me as I watched the doors close.

“Sir, I’ll take you up to the waiting room.” She told me.

I barely heard her, but I nodded anyway. Kate was dying right in front of me and there was nothing I could’ve done. The nurse took me upstairs to a waiting room and then she left. I stood in the middle of the room for a moment before falling to my knees.

I started to sob heavily and I put my hands over my face.

“Please God, don’t take her from me. She’s everything to me and I need her in my life. I’d gladly take her place if you’ll let me, but please don’t take her.” I cried out loud to God.

Not long after, I felt a hand on my shoulder. When I looked up, I saw Chase. I wiped my face and tried to pull myself up, but I had no strength in my body. Chase put his arms under mine and helped me into a chair.

“Brian, I want to apologize to you.” He said quietly. I looked at him and shook my head slightly.

“For what? If you would’ve have showed up who knows what would’ve happened.” I told him. Chase ran his fingers through his hair and shook his head.

“Brian, Aubrey is my sister. She told me this morning that she was going to try and win you over, but if I would’ve know exactly what she was going to do…” He stopped himself to wipe some tears that were falling.

I closed my eyes and put my hands on my head.

“Brian, I never would’ve let her go home if I knew Aubrey was going to hurt her.” He said quietly.

I just nodded but didn’t say anything. There was nothing I could say. The only thing I could think of was Kate. When she was taking that beating from Aubrey and when she stabbed her. God I would’ve given anything for it to have been me.

“Brian! What the hell happened?” Zacky called from the doorway.

I slowly brought my head up and I saw him wince. He ran over to me and put his arm around me.

“Awe fuck man, what happened?” He asked softly.

“Aubrey, she went fucking crazy. She made K-Kate-“ I stopped. Just saying her name made my heart ache.

“Aubrey made Kate tie him up and then they fought. Aubrey had a knife and she stabbed Kate in the stomach.” Chase finished for me.

Zacky inhaled sharply and sat up.

“Oh God, no.” He said. I nodded slowly and bent my head back down.

I heard more footsteps and Zacky went to talk to them. I guessed it was Matt and Johnny.

“Brian, honey.” My step mom Suzy cried as she held me.

I figured someone called them. I held onto her tightly and started openly crying. Time seemed to pass so slowly as we were waiting for any kind of news. Everyone in the waiting room was silent. No one said a word. We left each other to our thoughts, which for me meant thinking of every time Kate smiled at me. Every time she laughed with me. Every time we made love. I don’t know what I would do if I’d never get to see her smiling face again.

“Mr. Haner?” A doctor said from the doorway. I jumped up and ran to the door.

“Kate, is she alright?” I asked as I put my hands on his arms.