Chapter 20

BRIAN

“Yeah, so she can fuck you in the meantime? I’m not stupid Brian.” Kate spat at me as she walked down the beach.

I was as a loss for words. I know it wasn’t the smartest idea in the world to allow Aubrey to stay, but I couldn’t turn her away. I saw Zacky run over to me and I looked down at my feet.

“Dude, what the hell?” He asked me.

I couldn’t stand anymore. My whole body just gave up and I fell to my knees. I put my head in my hands and sat still.

“Brian, what the hell happened? You two were getting along great, what did you do?” He asked. He put his hand on my shoulder and shook me slightly.

I sighed and looked at him.

“I told her the truth.” I said. Zacky raised his eyebrow and moved his hand.

“The truth about what exactly?” He asked. I closed my eyes and pulled myself up.

“I told her that I’m letting Aubrey stay in our house.” I said quietly.

Now, I’ve seen Zacky mad, but I’ve never seen him like this. His face turned red and his eyes squinted and held mine.

“Are you fucking serious?” He said slowly. His voice had a dark edge to it that actually made me back up.

“Yes. What was I supposed to say? Her ex used to beat her and she had nowhere else to go.” I explained to him. Zacky shook his head and looked up at night sky.

“And you believed her? You actually believed that lying whore?” Zacky spat at me. I blinked and tilted my head.

“What are you talking about? Why would she lie about that?” I asked him. Zacky walked over and tapped on my head like he was knocking on a door.

“Think, where have you heard that story before? Oh right, you’re fucking girlfriend! Whose ex really did beat her. Doesn’t it make sense that Aubrey, who tried to get you to sleep with her, is making this up to gain your sympathy so she can trick you into cheating?” Zacky said to me.

I shook my head and started pacing.

“No way, why would someone make that up?” I said. I stopped moving and looked at Zacky.

His mouth was agape and he shook his head.

“Are you listening to yourself? Why are you defending her Brian? Better yet, why aren’t you going after Kate?” He asked me.

I shook my head. Why wasn’t I going after her? Probably because I didn’t want to fight anymore, or see her look so upset.

“What am I supposed to do Zacky, throw Aubrey into the street?” I asked him. Zacky nodded.

“Yes, so she can sleep in the gutter like the trash that she is.” He said seriously, then he turned on his heel and walked back up to Matt’s.

I groaned and started walking..the opposite direction that Kate went.

KATE

I was numb. I couldn’t feel anything. I looked down at my feet and wondered how I was still walking in these heels in the sand. I sighed and took them off since I would have hellish blisters later if I didn’t. Before I knew it, I was at Brian’s. I walked up the patio and slid the glass doors open and poked my head in.

“Any whore’s in here?” I said loudly.

No answer. Good. I wasn’t in the mood. I walked into the house and dropped my heels in the kitchen. A glance at the clock told me it was past midnight, but I didn’t want to stay here. I went into the bedroom and packed a small bag and slipped on my flip flops then walked out the front door.