Chapter 5 - The Push Present

5

The news about Willow came down much harder on us than I expected. I was now not allowed to leave the penthouse without security because I was almost attacked by a crazy mob of Capitol people trying to get a look as I left to go see Jasmine. Cato hadn't come down with me after a few hours of convincing him to let us go alone... Which was a bad idea, I know now. Willow was perfectly covered up, so no one could get a sneak peek, but the mob really scared me.

I was just settling Willow in her stroller with a cute little plush bunny that my mom bought for her. After strapping her in, Cato decided to feel me up a little bit (I stood there for a few seconds, laughing hard at his attempts) before kissing me. He let me go, told me to be careful and kissed Willow before ushering us out the door. We only took five steps out onto the street before people literally ran towards us.

I screamed in surprise and jolted back quickly. There were people surrounding us in all angles within a couple of seconds, giving me no way out. It was like they were literally waiting all morning for us to come out. I asked for people to move but they just shouted for me to move the coverup on the stroller to get a look.

It was only a few seconds later that Cato literally came running out of the door, a full blown machete wielded in his hand.

Oh my gosh.

"Step the fuck back or people will get sliced the fuck up!" he yelled at the crowd, putting emphasis on the swear words.

Everyone immediately went silent and took one step back. It was like they couldn't believe Cato would do something like this. Everyone should know by now that Cato is a maniac when it comes to us.

"Cato." I was finally able to breathe. He pushed his way through the small crowd.

Cato wrapped his free arm around me and kissed my forehead. "You okay? Did they touch you? Did they touch Willow? I'll fuck this shit up, you just tell me when, tell me who did it." Cato rushes his words out, staring at me so seriously. He was so ready.

I'm just about to speak when he holds the machete up, ready for me to say who and when. I can see that it's the same machete from the Games. The handle was the exact same model I remember from all that time ago. How on earth did he get that?

Everybody took a few more steps back.

"We're fine, Cato. Just a little scared."

Cato walks around and bends down in front of the stroller. He peels the coverup back only a centimeter to look at Willow, then places it back. Some people stretched their necks far to see into the hole, but I don't think they could.

"Let's go," he mumbles to me. He wraps his free arm back around me and I grip the stroller. Everyone watched silently, eyes wide with fear, and some were even smiling a bit.

I slowly start to push the stroller forward, smiling apologetically at everyone. Yea, they basically attacked me, but Cato is insane, so I feel bad.

Once we're out of the crowd, I smile up at him. He looks down at me, face set in a harsh frown before it softens. "How'd you know to come down?"

"I was watching you from the window. I had binoculars."

"And the first thing you reached for was the machete?" I'm really trying hard not to laugh. Thinking about it now, the way he rushed out with the thing was absolutely hilarious. Everyone was so scared that they couldn't even be confused.

Cato laughs out loud, clutching me closely. "No, I already had it in my hand. I grabbed it as soon as you walked out of the door."

I burst into a fit of giggles, completely tickled by the notion. Only Cato is crazy enough to do something like that. "Cato, you're crazy!" Cato nods. He knows his truth.