Chapter Nine

I was now sitting at a lunch table with Lance, Roger, Marcus, Denzel, and Darius, all members of the basketball team, Kate and Faith, my best friends and cheerleaders, and of course Alexander.

Chase and Chris decided to sit at another table with some other friends but kept looking over to my table every minute. Goodness, it's like they were expecting something to happen.

“Yo, I can’t believe it’s your first day and you already got into a fight.” Darius said loudly. Darius has always been loud. I guess he can’t really help it so we can’t really blame him.

Oh Puerto Ricans.

“Yeah man, I always get into stuff like that. That’s why I have to go these programs for ‘at-risk’ teens.” Alexander sighed.

“I feel bad for you, son, and you got into a fight with Chris too. Man!. You got the ladies crawling out to you. Talking of ladies, Meghan, shouldn’t you be sitting with your man instead of sitting next to the guy he fought with this morning?” Darius said with a smile.

I rolled my eyes. “He gave me permission to be here, so shut up, twit.”

“Gave you permission? You ask for permission?” his eyes looked ready to pop out.

“Why can’t all girlfriends be like that?” Roger complained only to get smacked upside his head by Kate. “Ow! What was that for babe?”

She rolled her eyes. “Whoops! My hand slipped and fell on your head.”

“I swear you guys are one heck of a couple” Darius said to them. We all started laughing because we know how crazy they are; except Alexander.

As I was about to speak, Mr. Fred, the school cleaner, came out one of the restrooms drenched and furious. He stopped at the entry of the cafeteria and glared at everyone.

“Who did that?” he yelled, pointing behind him. “Who caused the water to splatter everywhere when I was using the sink?” he asked fury coming out his voice.

I couldn’t help it. I laughed, that was totally hilarious. Mr. Fred’s shirt was so soaked that it became see-through. You could hear the laughter erupting from everywhere in the cafeteria.

“You got me all wet!” he yelled again.

“That’s what she said.” Alex and Darius muttered at the same time. They high-fived each other and erupted in laughter again. Alex smirked. That’s when it dawned on me. He’s the one who did this.

I was about to ask him when Darius beat me to it. “Alex, are you responsible for this?” he asked.

Alex shrugged, his smirk still on. “I might be.”

The table erupted in laughter again. Mr. Fred already left, his pants slapping soggily on his way out. So I got two things from this event: Alex was a troublemaker and he has Tumblr.

“Good one, my man. We definitely need to hang.” Roger congratulated him. Of course. He was a troublemaker himself. Now, they can both be idiots together.

I decided to change the topic and do what I came here to do. “So Alexander, what did you want to talk about?”

He was sitting next to me, on my right. On my left, were Faith, Denzel, Darius, Kate, and Roger. Marcus and Lance were sitting on Alexander’s right.

“I just wanted to get to know you, you know, the basic stuff.” Alexander answered.

“HOLD UP. Get to know you? Bro, that’s what you tell her girl when you wanna cuff her. Lance looked at Alexander seriously. “That girl you’re talking to is my bro’s lil’ sister and my homie’s girl. No romance ish about to happen here, ya digs?”