CH 2

“You’re kidding, right?” I ask her, in disbelief. 

Jen shakes her head, “I saw them.” She’s trembling, her words cracking, as if she might cry at any moment.

“We have to get out of here.” A kid in the back says. I look back to find the voice, only spotting an unfamiliar face.

“What do we do?” I ask.

“The only thing we can do,” Mr. Greene starts, “Is not to panic. I’ll call up to the front office, and we’ll see how to get you kids home.” He walks up to the telephone for calling the office, and waits. 

“The line’s dead. I’ll go see what the problem is. Nobody move until I get back.” He says, with fear in his eyes. 

Kids start to murmur and whisper things, they don’t trust Mr. Greene’s idea. “I’ll be right back.” He turns on his heel, and walks into the dark hallway, on his tip toes; as if that might help his case. 

Kids sit on desks, in the floor and on stools waiting for Mr. Greene to get back.

That’s when we hear it. 

A sort of grumbling/moaning noise, very quiet, coming from the hallway. A shiver runs down my spine.

“Everyone, into the closet!” The same person from the back rushes us into the mop closet. 

He grabs a mop, and stands at the  front of the small pod of scared kids in the closet, everyone standing stone still, not daring to make a move. 

The thing Jen described as a “Zombie” walks in slow strides, its feet making loud clunks when it hits a chair, or a desk. I still don’t believe it’s a zombie. That’s not possible... is it? 

It seems as if every person is frozen, you could hear a pin drop in the small closet we're using as our hiding spot.

I squeeze my eyes shut, as the footsteps become lighter, and lighter.

These things are pretty dumb. 

Someone backs up, I can feel their feet moving, stepping on my toes, and they ram into a mop. Making it crash to the floor.

“WHO DID THAT?” The kid in the front asks, in a hushed, angry tone. 

No one answers. 

I can hear the zombie turn, growling in frustration. 

“Oh no.” Jen whispers. 

The zombie starts banging on the closet door, trying to  break it down. “Everyone, grab a mop!” The kid orders. 

We do as we are told, swiftly and quietly.