CH 3

So.. it's been a while. I'M SORRY! 

I could make up a ton of excuses, say I was busy. But I'm just gonna say sorry. 

There's a photo on the side from "The Walking Dead" That you might enjoy. Goes with the chapter a bit. :) 

____________________________________________________________________________

“JEN!!” I cry, running to the door. Kendall pulls my arm, “You can’t go out there!” He yells.  I burst through his grasp, and open the door. “JEN!” The zombie we thought was dead outside, grabbed ahold of Jen’s leg, and is snacking on it.

“HELP!” She whimpers. 

I kick the zombie in the stomach, and cut his head off, with the gardening scissors. Jen slides down the wall, holding her leg, laying in her own pool of blood. 

“Jen.” I whisper, sobbing. Kendall and Mr. Greene burst through the doors. “We have to get back inside!” Mr. Greene yells, killing a zombie which was right behind me. “We can’t leave Jen!” I shout, trying to wipe my tears away with a bloody hand. 

Kendall groans, “Let’s take her inside.”  He suggests, gabbing one of her arms.

Mr. Greene grabs the other, and we walk back inside. 

The zombies have heard the ruckus, and are smelling blood, which makes our situation worse. They start walking to the glass door that separates us from them, and they start banging. I lock the door, that should buy us a little time.

Kendall and Mr. Greene place her carefully on the floor. “She doesn’t have much time left. Once she’s dead it won’t be long until she turns. We’ll need to get out before then.” Mr. Greene says, observing Jen’s leg. “We can’t leave her!” I protest. “We have to! Do you want the zombies to eat us?!” Kendall yells. “Keep your voices down!” Mr. Greene hisses.  “We have to get out. That’s our main priority. I’m sorry Ellie, we have to leave her.” I choke back the sobs, which the tears are stinging my eyes, threatening to pour over. “Just... Just leave me.” Jen breaths in shallow breaths.  She cries out in pain. “But, I... I don’t want to be one... one of them.” “We’ll make sure of that.” Kendall says. Jen smiles at me, “Take care. Stay safe.” She closes her eyes, as if she’s going to sleep, a long sleep she’ll never wake up from ever again. “No!! She doesn’t deserve to die!” I cry.   

“So, you want her to be a zombie?!” Kendall asks me, anger in his voice. “Of course not!” “Then we have to kill her.” “DON’T say that.” I yell. “SHHH!” Mr. Greene hushes us, “Her heart’s stopped. Ellie, you and Kendall go gather supplies we can use. I’ll take it from here.”  

I kneel down beside Jen, “Goodnight.” I whisper, and wrap my arm around her pulling her close. “Use this,” I hand Mr. Greene my scissors, “Don’t beat her.” I plead. He nods, and takes the scissors from my grasp, trading for his crowbar. 

    “Be careful!” Mr. Greene calls. “Will do.”  Kendall says, raising his bat. 

I follow behind him, to my locker, where I grab my rain jacket, backpack, and cell phone. “That thing’s going to be no use.” Kendall tells me, eyeing my phone, glammed in silver rhinestones. “You never know.” I shrug, and put it into my pocket, tying my jacket around my waist.

  “I’ve actually got something useful.” Kendall says, opening his locker. “A pocket knife? That’s only going to help if you’re face to face with one, and I hope that doesn’t happen.” “You’ll want to eat won’t you?” He raises an eyebrow. I cringe. “FYI, there’s a McDonald's just down the road.” I tell him. He laughs, “That’s not going to help in an apocalypse, sweetheart.” “Don’t call me that.” I hiss. “Being bossy will get you nowhere, sweetheart.” He puts  emphasis on the word, “Sweetheart.” “Shut up.” 

I can tell Kendall and I are going to have problems.

He grabs his own backpack, and a fleece jacket, along with his cell phone. “That thing’s going to be no use.” I mock. Kendall glares at me.

We head to the cafeteria. I turn up my nose at the dead bodies lying on the ground, creating a foul stench.  “We need to grab all the canned foods we can.” Kendall instructs. “You think I don’t know that?” I ask, but  I had no idea. 

I follow him to the kitchen, and find a pantry with all of the canned foods anyone could want... and not want. Fruit cocktail, beans, Vienna sausages, green beans, vegetables, pie fillings, everything. We pile all we can into our backpacks, and carry a few more. “Done?” Kendall asks. “Yes.” I answer. We walk out of the kitchen, and are stopped dead in our tracks. 

Three zombies, feeding on people. 

I run up and hit one in the head with the crowbar, it falling to the ground next to its meal. 

The lunch lady that looks like a raisin is laying lifeless, bloody, and shriveled up, her limbs twisted in odd places. 

“COME ON!” Kendall yells. “Coming!!” I call. 

We walk back out into the dark halls, and make our way to Mr. Greene. 

“Who’s there?!” He yells. “Just us.” I say. 

“We need to get out of here, look.” He points to the glass door, and I see, 2 long cracks along the middle, the zombies banging on the door. 

“How?” I ask. 

“We’ll have to go out the back.” He says. “I’m in!” Kendall yells. I sigh, “Ok? I just want to get home. ” I say.

“It’s just the three of us now. You’re family’s either dead, or gone.” Kendall says. “Gee, thanks for the support.” I mumble. 

“He’s right though. It’s just us three. We’ll make it. Come on.” 

We follow Mr. Greene through the maze of halls, to the back door of the cafeteria. 

“Ready?”  He asks. 

“Ready.”