CH 12

2 WEEKS LATER

"We're out of... everything," Kendall says, as he shuts the cupboard.

"Because you ate it all," I add, taking a sip of water. 

"I didn't eat it all!" He argues. Kendall crosses his arms like a teenage girl.

"Yes... You did," I say, shaking my head slightly. 

"Teenage boys," I mutter, so only my ears can hear. 

 "We need to go on a run anyways. We're out of soap," Mr. Greene walks in, shaking his head.

"Don't you think we're technically... stealing?" I ask, "When the world's better, we'll be arrested,"

"It's not going to get better," Kendall says, "It'll never be the same,"

"It's going to get better. It has too," I say, on the verge of yelling.

Kendall shakes his head.

I look down at the ground, "Well I guess I should get my shoes on then..." I sigh, and run back to my backpack, where my tattered up sneakers are laying. 

"Ready?" Mr. Greene asks. 

"As ready as we'll ever be in a zombie apocalypse," I say.

 "It's only been... two weeks, right?" Kendall asks, as he looks the grocery store up and down. 

Graffiti covers every inch, broken windows seem to be the norm for this building. 

"Grab what you can. We'll try to be in and out, okay?" Mr. Greene smiles weakly.

I nod.

"I'll stick with Ellie," Kendall says.

I roll my eyes, "Whatever,"

"You first," I tell him, since he insists on 'sticking with me.'

He sighs, and follows Mr. Greene in the large department store.

Opened cans of food litter the floor, along with bottles of empty gatorade. I kick one with my foot, "Pretty sure zombies don't eat this..." 

Kendall nods, walking towards the back of the store.

"Wait for meeeeeee," I call after him.

"Red or blue gatorade?" He asks me, looking up from the 8 pack of blue to the 8 pack of red.

"Ew, neither," I stick my tongue out. 

"Red it is," Kendall snickers, grabbing the pack, making a grunting noise as he picks it up.

"Need help?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"No, you're a girl," Kendall stumbles a few steps backwards. I take the gatorade pack from him effortlessly.

"Thanks?" He scratches his head.

I smile, proud of showing off, and follow Kendall to another aisle.

"OOH! Look!" 

"You like those vom-i-trocious cheddar whales?" He makes a gagging noise.

"You say vom-i-trocious? That makes it all worth it..." I sigh, pretending to wipe a tear with my free hand.

"Just grab a box of them, Kendall." I shake my head. He groans, grabbing not one but two boxes of Cheddar Whales. 

"Looks like there's nothing else here," Kendall says, walking down the aisle of granola bar wrappers and stale potato chips. I pick up a box of chocolate graham crackers, tipping it upside down in disappointment when I see there isn't even a tiny crumb.