CH 20

The cold knife slides across my cheek, causing a large gash into the already raw side. 

"Just when we thought you were dead. Welcome," The man says, standing up and turning towards the people who walked in. I try sitting up, to see who it is. Kendall, Mr. Greene and my dad stand with their guns raised.

"Nice to see you again, Steven," The man says, looking at Mr. Greene. "Abe." 

"Kendall, go get Elizabeth," Mr. Greene says, his gun aimed at the face of the guy I now know is named Abe. Abe walks back over to me, releasing me from the rope I was tied with and making me stand up, putting his arm around my neck. Kendall runs in, his gun raised.  "You move; she dies." I reach my hands up to pull on his arm, which keeps squeezing tighter around my neck. I gasp for air, pleading Kendall to not move. I don't' want him to get hurt.

"Let her go. We can settle this the civilized way. What do you want?" Mr. Greene asks.

"I think you know what I want," Abe says, his voice echoing in my ear.

"Have it. I don't care. Just please don't hurt any of my people," His eyes are begging. My dad stands, his gun pointed at Abe's arm. I hope he's planning something, please God let him be planning something to get us out of this mess.

"What a shame you're making me give Sweetheart away, she was great company; you know." 

"Don't call her that," Kendall spits, scooting closer to us.

"Do it, Richard." Mr. Greene looks behind him. My dad nods and aims his gun; shooting Abe in the hand, he yelps, letting go of my throat. He walks backward, cowering against  the wall. I topple to the ground, catching myself with my hands and trying to regain my breath. Kendall walks over to Abe and just starts punching. Over and over again. I never knew he could throw punches like that. 

I stand up weakly and grab onto Kendall's bloody fist, "Stop! That-that's not what we do. Not who we a-are," I beg him, still trying to gain my breath. He takes a deep breath, stepping back from Abe's body. 

"I'll find you one day, and I'll k-kill you all," Abe says, coughing up blood.  I roll my eyes, stepping away from him, 

Kendall walks over towards me, tears streaming down his face, "I thought you were dead," He says, hugging me. His voice is shaky, his face clammy from the tears. 

"Surprise, I'm not. I'm pretty strong," I say with a laugh, even though I feel like crying, too.  

"Let's get out of here," I say, walking towards the door. 

"Wait," I stop.

I run to the back of the shed; looking for Ashton. "Ashton?" I call out. We can take him with us. He can start over.

I find him, laying lifeless on the ground; red hand prints around his neck. 

He didn't deserve this. He was so... kind. Even if I only knew him a little bit. "Goodbye, Ashton. Thanks for everything," I whisper. I walk over towards the door where everyone is standing.

"Where'd you go?" My dad asks, pulling me in for a hug. "I thought I f-forgot something," I shrug.

I run over to my mom. She squeezes me into a hug, sobbing into my shoulder, "Oh god, you're okay. You're okay, everything's okay," she says. "I missed you," I say to her.

I walk back over to my dad who's holding Ollie, "Hey little man. You miss me?" I kiss his head.

"You're pretty banged up, kid. Rope burns, stab wounds; you're cheek seems to be bleeding. Are you okay?" Mr. Greene asks.

I nod. "Good to have you back. It's not the same without you," Mr. Greene smiles at me.

"Let's find a place to set up camp," My mom says, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. I nod, "Far away from here." 

We start walking into the treeline, me hanging towards the back of the group; not feeling like talking. 

Kendall slows his footing to walk alongside me.

"I thought I failed, that you were gone forever," Kendall says.

"I don't really feel like talking about that. It's over... I want to forget about it," I say, looking over at him. He nods, "How's your leg?" I ask him.

He laughs, "Fine, I guess. The only way I've been walking is the four Aspirins I took." I laugh, too. Not because it was funny, but because it feels good to laugh.

"I missed you," He says quietly, only so I can here.

My cheeks turn pink. I try to resist the urge of reaching up to see feel the warmth in them, "I know. I missed you, too."