Chapter 1:

Jason's POV

I sat on the porch of Taylor's packhouse with a solemn look on my face. I couldn't stop thinking about what took place yesterday.

Flashback

After I saw Taylor disappear trailing after Tavon, the rogue number slowly started to dwindle. It was easy to take them down when we all fought as a team. It looked like the vampires never intended to fight in the first place. They ran away as soon as Tavon had left, leaving the rogues to fight alone. I could tell that the rogues were not well trained. They were all recently bitten. Even though they were stronger, they lacked skill and coordination. When they realized they did stand a match against us they started backing off and running away. Max and Charlie ran after the deserters while Francis, Justin, Chase, and I picked them off one by one. If the rogues had more training, they might have been able to match us.

Our mate! Taylors in trouble! Jason, we have to go after her! Gabe sounded frantic. My connection to Catherine is being cut off somehow. I don't know what's happening but we need to find them. I looked over to Francis and mind linked him.

Taylor's in trouble. I'm going to go find her.

We got this Jason, go get your girl.

I nodded and sprinted through the passageway that I saw Taylor run off to. Tavon's vampire scent filled my nostrils causing my anger to spike. That son of bitch better not lay a hand on my mate. At the end of the passage, there was a huge wooden door that was locked. I could smell wolves bane being spilled through the underside of the door. Get T out of there Jason! We can't lose her. I know Gabe, I'm working on it.

I shifted back into my human form and started punching and kicking the door down. It didn't budge. The most I did was leave little cracks in the frame. I heard Taylor's muffled voice through the door. "Come on!" I yelled angrily, body slamming the door. It started to bend and creak after numerous body slams.

Then I heard a clock chime from the other side. It was midnight. Following the chime was a blood-curdling scream. "TAYLOR!" I screamed. Red filled my vision as Gabe instantly took over and forced me to shift. He backed up and ran full force towards the wooden door. One side of the door splintered open and I could see Tavon with his fangs inserted into the side of Taylors' neck. Gabe snarled at Tavon and backed us up in an attempt to break the door fully open. We sprinted headfirst and broke through the door, splinters of wood exploding around me. Wolves bane infiltrated my nostrils and burned my throat. I took no notice of the poisonous gas filling my lungs. Taylor is the priority, not my pain.

I looked at Taylor who was passed out in the arms of Tavon. He looked down on her with a bloodied smile. I growled menacingly and he looked up at me. "Nice to see you again Jason. I'm glad you could be here to say goodbye to Taylor."

I launched myself at him but he quickly pulled out a gun and I felt the dart hit me. Tranquilizer! Gabe warned me. I pushed through and kept advancing upon Tavon. Then in no time at all, I felt 4 more darts pierce my chest as I ran at Tavon. I fell to the ground with a thud in front of Tavon's feet. My whole body felt paralyzed.

"Nice try mutt. I laced those with wolves bane so you won't be moving anywhere anytime soon." Tavon chuckled and hoisted Taylor into his arms as if his bride. "Goodbye, Jason." Tavon smiled wickedly and ran through the glass window, away into the night.

End of Flashback

I could see those red eyes and that sinister smile whenever I closed my eyes. Haunting me. Reminding me that I couldn't protect my mate. "Taylor is dead because of me." I kept repeating to myself. I still couldn't believe I was too late. Seeing her lifeless body in Tavon's arms. The blood slowly dripping from her neck to the floor. I haven't slept or talked once since the incident. No tears have been shed. I've been stone cold. I felt hollow inside. Gabe hasn't said a word. Nothing matters anymore. The love of my life is gone and it's all my fault. I raked my hands through my hair and hoisted myself up from the steps I'd been sitting on. I smoothed out the wrinkles from my pants and stood in front of Jonathan Stepic's doorstep. I took a deep breath. Taylor's father is going to kill me.

I heard the door handle turn and the front door creak open. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach as Jonathan stepped out, expecting his daughter to run into his arms. I stood up straight when his eyes fell upon me. I shook my head and hung it in shame. "Where is she?" his gruff voice called out. I stood unmoving not wanting to tell him that I wasn't strong enough to save his daughter. "Where's my little girl?!" I kept my eyes on the ground. "She didn't make it Sir." I whispered trying not to let my voice crack.

Mr. Stepic fell against the door frame in shock. "My baby girl." He grasped onto the frame as if it were his saving grace. "I'm sorry." I said trying helping him up but when my hand touched his shoulder, he swatted my hand away. "You said you'd protect her!" he cried out. His face was etched with anger. I saw a hand in the air and prepared for a blow but all I heard was a sigh. Mr. Stepic drew his hand away and looked absolutely broken. His eyes were full of regret and sadness, tears threatening to spill. He wiped the tears away pushed past me.

I watched as he quickly shifted and ran off into the woods. Moments later I heard a howl pierce the peaceful night. Now everyone knew of my disappointment. The mourning would start and I was to blame. A couple of seconds longer and I heard more cries. The howls were sure to be heard from far distances, full of pain and loss. A great loss it was.

I shifted and ran into the woods. I ran not caring about how tired I was. I just had to keep running. Running away from the sound of my heart being crushed. Running away from my defeat. Running away from myself. I don't know how long I had been running, but I finally stopped at the edge of a cliff. Below me, there was a canyon system full of waterfalls, trees, and rocks. It was a beautiful view. For the rest of the night, I sat there and howled my pain and sorrow away.

~~~

Hope you guys have had a great week. I'm on April vacation! Hopefully I get more time to work on this book! Please vote, share and comment your thoughts!