(Chapter Twenty)

Chapter 20

Melissa’s POV

The gun shot rang giving me the sign to come out in the open. I watched as Sarah’s dad fell to the ground clutching his chest and letting go of a blonde little girl with bouncy curls in her hair. She ran towards Ben in haste and h stood up, through his pain, to hug her.

The bond between him and I was broken and I don’t know if he’d want me back after I hurt him so bad; especially because I broke it only a few seconds ago. I grabbed the bag hanging from the tree which contained my spare clothes. Putting them on, I walked into the clearing back in front of the school.

My foot grazed across the gravel on the road. All heads shot towards me but the only one I noticed was Ben’s. Panting, he got up off his knees and walked towards me. “You didn’t mean it, did you?” he whispered as he neared. I shook my head as a response.

“It was all Sarah’s idea.” I whispered back and pointed towards her. He closed the gap between us and leant down to kiss me. I could feel the passion he had for me; all his lust was put into that kiss. He licked my lips demanding entrance and I obliged. As his tongue slipped in, I slowly dominated the kiss.

“Eww daddy!” An angelic voice yelled in disgust. Ben pulled away from the kiss and stuck his tongue out at the beautiful little child. She giggled slapping her hand over her mouth with her mischievous blue eyes that mirrored her father’s.

“Oh!” Ben cried in happy realisation. “This,” he ran over to the little girl. “is Abbie, my daughter.” He grinned at me as my face brightened whilst looking at her.

“This is your daughter.” I repeated in happiness. Other than her eyes, she looked nothing like him. I looked between both of them. “She looks nothing like you.” I laughed. “Lucky for you.” I stage-whispered to her; causing her to laugh.

I then bent down to her and grabbed both of her tiny hands. “Well, aren’t you the cutest girl I’ve ever seen!” I smiled at her, causing her to beam showing me her two missing front teeth.

“Thank you.” She replied politely. She pulled down Ben’s pant leg, making him bend down allowing her to whisper in his ear. If it wasn’t for my wolf-like sense of hearing, I wouldn’t have heard. “Is she my mommy?” My heart melted at the sound of hope in her voice. Ben shook his head. “I wish she was. She’s really pretty.” She whispered.

Ben looked up at me and winked. “I know. But she could be your pretend mommy if she wants...” I spewed and sputtered in astonishment.  My mouth opened and closed like a goldfish not yet knowing what to see. I looked down at the ground for an answer but that didn’t help. I gave Sarah are pleading look and she just nodded excitedly.

I imitated her action to Ben and he grinned. I felt a soft hand take my own and looked down to see Abbie smiling at me.

There was a rustle in the bushes behind me. I turned quickly but it settled. A new set of footsteps came from my right. I turned to see Brent holding a gun. He was shaking with anger.

“Brent? What are you doing?” I asked surprised.

“Shut up.” He spat at me. “You’ve ruined everything.” His unsteady hand pointed the gun at me. “In this gun, I have six silver bullets. You don’t know what you’ve done!” He yelled. “And you!” he turned to Sarah. “You betrayed your own father. You shot him down in cold blood. And what for?” he scoffed. “This idiot of a Beta; you could’ve been the Beta of the second best pack. Your father was going so well in taking over. But you had to ruin it.”

Ben stood in front of me defensively. “Brent, it’s over. Just put down the gun.”

“Shut your mouth, you low life scum. You’re such a freaking traitor.” Brent cried. “You think that you were the only one that had family held hostage. Well, you weren’t. My parents are held with Sarah’s stupid pack. And they’re going to kill them.” He wiped his forehead with his sleeve. His eyes were manic at this point. “It’s alright though; you have your precious daughter, right?” He aimed the gun at Abbie. We all gasped.

“Brent, please.” I whispered. “Just put the gun down.” He was about to lower the gun when a familiar voice broke the anticipating silence.

“Don’t listen to her.” Alison stood behind his left shoulder; her voice full of bitterness.  “She only cares about herself. If you don’t kill them, your parents will die.”

“Alison...” I gasped. “What are you doing?”

“Something I should’ve done a long time ago.” She snatched the gun from Brent. She aimed it at me. There was a lethal bang but not before I was knocked over on the floor. I was waiting for the shooting pain to shoot through my body but nothing happened.

An agonising scream came from the large weight on top of me. It was breathing heavily but in uneven rugged gasps. I stared at the figure lying above me. It was Lucas. Everything began to happen way too fast. He was pulled off of me by Ben. Sarah’s phone was out before anyone could yell for an ambulance.

Alison stood there shocked at her actions. She was staring at the gun in her hand. Brent began to back away and then sprinted from the scene; his face guilt-ridden.

I lay on the ground not knowing what to do. All I could do was watch my friend die right before me. I didn’t even know that he was anywhere near me. Sirens in the distance grew closer. I crawled to Lucas and grabbed his hand. “Lucas, I’m here.” He was taking deep gulps of air now. I honestly didn’t know if he was going to make it or not.

“Lucas,” Sarah yelled. “If you can hear me, squeeze Melissa’s hand.” She demanded. We all held our breaths in anticipation. I suddenly felt a weak movement come from Lucas and I sighed in relief.

A blacked out car stopped right in front of us. The license plate read:

ALPHA1

My mom and dad came out of the car with a royal presence.

“Melissa, explain to me what is going on.” My father, the alpha, demanded calmly.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I'M SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPLOAD. Settling back into the school routine is never easy especially when applying to Sixth Forms.

So how about 50 votes and 25 comments for the next chapter maybe...