Chapter 30

Taking a deep breath I tightly hold the doorknob and like every single day from past three weeks my hands weren't steady and they were painfully cold.

I can do this, I thought to myself.

You have to be strong for them, His face came in front of my eyes and like yesterday and the day before that I gulped in the lump forming in my throat.

Twisting the knob I opened the door, and took a step inside the similar white room and heard the slow beeps of the machine telling me that he is still here with me. Getting further inside I closed the door behind me, Sabih was sleeping on the couch in front of his bed and couples of coffee cups were on the coffee table. Placing my bag on the arm chair I walked towards the bed where he was lying deep in his sleep, by looking at him it feels like if I'll call him or shake him he will quickly open his eyes and flash me the smile I love the most but then the logical part of me makes me remember that it's not scientifically possible. Placing a light kiss on his forehead I whisper what I have been whispering from past twenty two days.

I love you please wake up.

Turning back to the couch where Sabih was still fast asleep, I shook him by his shoulder and he quickly woke up, I was told by others that he is a heavy sleeper but in past three weeks he had been alert every second and I would always be very thankful of him.

"When did you got here?" he asked sitting and rubbing his eyes.

"Five minute at top," I said passing him the car key we have rented for the stay.

"Oh..." he looked around the room resting his eyes at Wali for few seconds.

"Mama isn't here today she would come with baba at the meeting hour. Her headache got worst last night," I sighed, "please make sure that she rest and you take some good rest too." he nodded, "I mean it! take some good rest. Office work can be done when you get back home, Sabih, and why don't you stay--"

"We go through this everyday! Bhabi I am fine and I am coming back tonight. You know that he is my brother right? And the way he had always been there for everyone, this is the least I can do." He said with a reassuring smile and I nodded.

After few seconds of comfortable silence where the two of us were left in our own thoughts Sabih took his departure and now I was alone. Slowly getting up I took my place on the seat beside Wali's bed, resting my back I looked at the monitor which was showing his steady heart beats, and then I took his hand they were warm like everyday, if it wouldn't be for the multiple wires attached to him and the nasal cannula for oxygen he looked perfectly normal, just in his deep slumber but a logical part of us keep reminding us of the harsh reality. Rubbing my thumb to the back of his hand I looked at our intertwined fingers, call me hopeless but finally it feels like my hand are holding the right ones.

Flashback

Dressed in a long royal blue gown while a blue silk hijab wrapped around my head I walked down the stairs with perfect amount of make up, it wouldn't be wrong to say that I have tried best for tonight, mascara was making my eyes look perfectly big while my eye shadow were complementing my red lip gloss. Picking up the flow of my dress I took every step carefully in five inch long heels. He was waiting for my by the door dressed in blue formal suit which he chose to match with mine, his hair were styled in perfect quiff.

"I am ready!" I said as I got closer and he turned to look at me with the same coldness I am trying to become accustom to.