Chapter 8

Darkness, it was definitely darkness surrounding me but I couldn't help myself and it was becoming hard to breathe. Were my eyes closed? No, or else how could I notice the darkness, then I am sure I am not even sleeping but where am I? I turned around to catch on something, anything but I couldn't and it felt like I am suddenly back in that dark cold basement which was still a part of my nightmares.

Cell phone! Yeah where is the device when I needed it the most? I start searching my pockets but it wasn't there. And I am not even wearing normal clothes; it feels like I'm in my track pants and my t-shirt, why am I dressed in my night clothing? Nothing was making sense and I can't even remember how I ended up where I am. The fear of darkness wasn't helping me either and this place was extremely claustrophobic too. I could feel sweat drops running down my temple and now my head was also becoming heavy. I have to calm down, I should call for help but it feels like my tongue is tied up and I couldn't even mutter a word, gasping for air I was continuously trying to remember all the verses of Quran.

Slowly I took a step forward with all the courage I could muster, my legs were feeling numb but with the desperation of getting out of this place I couldn't stop myself and with each heavy step I take, I feel coldness surrounding me more, I was trying to reach to any support but I couldn't and then suddenly I felt metal under the touch of my hands, moving nearer I tried to figure out what it was and after couple of minutes had passed it felt like it's a metallic door, or more like the lift door. I was trapped in a lift but now the question was How? I couldn't remember anything. I came home after attending the Youth seminar, I talked there, Bhabi told me about Fa.. no Khadija but after that everything seems blurry and I can't remember anything.

"So we are trapped in a lift again, like the first time we met." I heard a soft familiar chuckle, a soft feminine voice which till now talked to me with coldness but today it felt like she was smiling. Shocked, I turned around but I couldn't see or figure out anyone's presence. "Don't worry I guess it's a power breakdown they are working on it." I heard her saying again but I couldn't believe my hearing. My hands were shaking and I could feel my neck hairs prickling. Was I scared? No, it wasn't fear. It was something else.

"Kh... Kha... Khadija." I whispered, my voice was rough as if I have cried a lot.

"Who else?" she chuckled. Why isn't she treating me like she does all the time? Why is she being so respectful? And why isn't this darkness ending? Why couldn't I see her? "Don't worry Wali, I told you try to think about something else and not let your fears come over you. Remember last time we were trapped in university's lift like this and you were panicking—"

"Because I am claustrophobic and nyctophobic at the same time Khadija!" I replied interrupting her and she started laughing, a soft melodic laugh, a laugh which was soothing my nerve, a smile made its way to my lips, even in the situation like this where I am not sure about my whereabouts I am smiling. She was always this magical.

"You replied just like you did last time! You were so mad at me when I told you to calm down all those years ago." She replied once she stopped laughing and silence fell between us.

"I am sorry Khadija." I whispered more to myself than to her, I took this moment to apologize for what I have done, for snapping at her in the lift almost ten years ago or for being the reason because of which she got hurt multiple times. I apologized for everything.

The silence took over us once again, I sat where I was standing and closed my eyes, I was getting anxious as the time was passing by, I wanted her to say something, but there was silence, all I could hear was my heart drumming inside my chest and I was sweating badly like I have run thousand miles.