Number Nine; The Happy

Two small arms slung around me, startling me awake.

I sat up, the arms still latched on me as a small squeal erupted, and I recognized the familiar wake up call.

"Hi Kelsey." I whispered, cracking open my heavy eyes, sleepily looking down at her beaming face.

"Why are you so happy?" I asked.

She jumped up and down, pointing towards Nathan who stood in the doorway with a smirk on his face.

What did he do?

"You never told me you had a boyfriend!" She blurted out, barely holding excitement.

I started laughing, shaking my head.

"No Kelsey, we're not-"

"Ready to go in public yet." Nathan interrupted, and I rolled my eyes at his childish play.

Kelsey looked like she understood, nodding.

"Oh! I won't say nothin to anybody. I promise." She pretend to seal her lips and throw away the key.

Nathan came beside me, and threw his arm around my shoulders, holding me to him.

"What are you-"

"Just accept it."

I huffed at his interruption again, and crossed my arms.

Kelsey still stood there, staring in awe.

"Hey baby?" I asked, and both of them looked at me, Nathan with a look of surprise on his face. I lightly slapped his chest, and looked at Kelsey.

"Are you hungry?" I asked her, and I felt tiny circles rubbed against my shoulder by Nathan's thumb, momentarily distracting me.

She looked bashful, "Just a tiny bit." She murmured, and I smiled, loving her.

"Come on, we can go get some food, where would you like to go-"

"Whoa whoa, I've got food here, no need to leave." Nathan again, interrupted, and I sighed, rejecting his offer.

"You've done a lot for us already." I told him, and he waved me off, giving me a look of annoy.

"Don't be bashful with me now, Alicia." My face warmed, and he turned his attention back to Kelsey.

"I've got food in the pantry if you want some. Pop tarts?" She squealed excitedly, and clapped before dashing our of the room, not even waiting for him.

I tucked my hair behind my ear nervously, biting my lip.

"You shouldn't have done that." I protested, and he hugged me to him this time, shrugging.

"It was nothing, I swear I have five boxes hidden under this bed." My eyebrows raised, and I was almost tempted to look.

"You know we're going to have to leave sooner or later, right? All my stuff is there, and so is Kelsey's, we can't just stay here."

He thought for a moment, before looking bright.

"And why can't you?"

"This is your house! We can't just come in here and live with you guys, especially with your dad coming home tomorrow." He slid his phone from his shorts pocket, immediately going through his contacts.