Number Five; The Hysterical

"You're going to text me."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"No."

"Yes."

"Piss off."

"You piss off." He laughed, and I rolled my eyes at him, shoving my backpack in my locker.

"Why do you have to be so annoying?" I asked, and he smiled, teeth pearly.

"It's part of the charm, sweetheart." I snorted at him.

"Charm my ass." He spluttered a laugh, and I  laughed at his reaction, just a little bit.

"Oh my god." He gripped my shoulders, facing me while I still had the smile on my face.

"What?"

"You're smiling." He awed, poking my cheek. I swatted his hand, looking confused.

"Yeah, and?"

"This is the first time I've seen it up close." He leaned closer, his voice dropping low, and I could feel his breath on my lips.

I shuttered lightly, looking up with wide eyes.

His eyes were dropped halfway, in a trance, and his mouth parted slightly, gray eyes a dim shine under an expression I couldn't pin down.

"What are you doing?" I breathed, my heart leaping in my throat.

Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop.

No.

"Nathan?" I whispered leaning back, and he leaned a inch closer.

If we tried to talk, our lips would brush.

A deep sound emitted from the back of his throat, a sound of desire.

I heaved a breath, my arms feeling tingly where he touched, my gut feeling warm and fluttery the longer he stared at me with his beautiful gray eyes.

No. Stop....this can't happen.

His breath tasted of mint and lunch salad, a weird combo that somehow made me stayed their longer, smelling, looking, aware.

Alive.

I studied his face this close. The splatter of faint freckles across his nose, and the small scar in the top of his left eyebrow.

He wore contacts, I didn't know that, and his lips, from this close view, was a rosy color, and I wanted to taste it.

I stepped back, my back against the locker, trying to get space.

His hands loosely let go, and I coughed, my face warming at the ruined moment.

Nothing. We didn't feel anything.

I wiped my palms on my face, my tongue feeling thick in my mouth.

"I-I-" My voice turned raspy, and I took a glance at his face.

He seemed surprised, shocked actually.

His eyes were still gazing down at me, a shine in the surface, his lips were farther apart, looking more like a strawberry red from the angle.

"I have to go. I'll, uh, text you later." I hurried my words, feeling uneasy, rushed, my heart pounding hard against my rib cage.

"Um, yeah." His husky voice echoes down the hall, ringing in my ears even when I already left, and jogging out of the school into the frosty air.

I almost kissed him.