Chapter 13 "I can't Dance"

I woke up the next morning with fur in my mouth and a cold wet nose on my arm. I lifted my hand and scratched at the new growth on my face, which started purring. I laughed around a mouthful of my cat’s hair and sat up. Duske wasn’t very happy with me for that.

                 “I gotta get dressed for school, so you need to scoot.” I put Duske back on my pillow and stretched. I padded into the bathroom and turned on the heater. I padded back out and stood in front of my closet. I chose my red skater flats with the red, “I can hear you, I’m just not listening” shirt and pale red jeans. I padded back, snagging my radio, into the bathroom. I changed and brushed my teeth. I looked at the clock and noticed I had ten minutes so I turned on the radio and went to my computer. I typed in Howrse.com and signed in and went to my horse. I pet him, groomed, and put him to bed. I closed down the window and went back to the bathroom and did my hair. It was a simple high ponytail. I packed it up nice and tight in its case and grabbed my book and my CD player.

                 I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. I went to the fridge and grabbed a green pepper. I cut the top off, took out all the seeds and got rid of the stem. I grabbed my bag and ran out the door. I waited by the bus stop for a few minutes eating my pepper and when the bus still didn’t come for a while; I got tired of waiting and started walking. I walked for about four minutes before stopping at Waneta’s driveway. I waited some more and when I was about to walk ahead Waneta finally showed up.

                 “Ugh! Finally. It seems the bus is late.” I complained and Waneta grinned at me.

                 “Well, we could walk to school.” He offered and I pouted but agreed. We walked in silence for a few minutes before he got tired of it.

                 “So, are you excited for tonight?” he asked and I shrugged.

                 “I still think I’m gonna end up in a corner somewhere with my book. I’m not much for crowds or high noises.” Waneta stopped suddenly, shook his head and started walking again. I scrunched up my face in confusion, but continued walking. We got to school pretty early so I shrugged off my bag at our homeroom and headed towards the library. Sadly, on the way to the library, I ran into someone’s shoulder.

                 “Hey, watch it freak.” I heard and scrunched up my shoulders and kept walking.

                 “Hey, I’m talking to you.” The voice said and I stopped. I sighed quietly and turned around. A girl with dark blond hair and what I thought to be as plastic face and breasts. Ugh, she looks like a blonde buxom Barbie. I thought to myself as the blonde bimbo stalked to where I was standing.

                 “What do you think you’re doing?” As she was talking I was really tempted to just punch her in her over-plumped mouth, me blaming it on my being a redhead, redhead temper you know, so I just decided to listen to what my mom had said one time when I was little and I kept beating up the neighborhood boys. I started talking in sign language. Amazingly I might have cursed a few times, and I managed to flip her the bird. I blame the miniature devil-me that sat on my shoulder. She had kicked the angel off and should be back in a few moments. As I could see on the bimbo’s face that she didn’t want to have anyone hear, well . . . see our conversation and I was hoping for that thing exactly. One of the kids taking special classes had apparently heard my secret wish and was watching and had started laughing while I was busy signing. The girl gave up and stalked off, mumbling to herself. I turned to the boy and smiled and waved. The boy signed.

                 “That was really cool.” I smiled wider.

                 “My name is Lalasa.” I signed to him and he smiled back.