Chapter 42 - Pout and Kiss

To @maulinmaul0311 for just being one of the crazy, crazy yet beautiful Southeast Asian women who are active commenters of this story!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~ CHAPTER 42 - POUT AND KISS ~~~

Finally, I was done being an intern at Marianne Orphanage.

My field practicum, however, went on and on. I travelled to the different parts of the country with some of my fellow interns and worked with some private and government social agencies. The experience was gratifying indeed and it even me realize that orphans weren't the only group that needed attention. There were also the aged folks; the drug, alcohol, and gambling addicts; poor families; people with health and mental problems...

For months, I went travelling and stayed in an institution for one to two months.

I had really been busy.

I no longer saw Javier. He was also very, very busy but he never cut off the communication. Just like me, he was a graduating student.

Nigel?

After that night that he stayed in my apartment, we no longer saw each other.

Since then, there were times when I'd wake up in the middle of the night with the feeling that a pair of muscular arms were cuddling me. Then, I'd always open my eyes and always end up disappointed that he wasn't there with me.

I thought our months of separation, six months to be exact, would help me forget him... but it only made me long for him more.

And the bastard really kept our agreement. He never showed himself to me anymore... which made me irritated sometimes.

Then, I would just tell myself, He's probably realized by now that the two of you are better off this way, Althea, so stop thinking about him. He's not worth any of your time.

You're SOUR GRAPING. Something at the back of my mind, however, would tell me.

Then, I'd go on telling myself, Yeah, it's really better this way. After all, this is what you've been asking from him, right?

Again, something at the back of my mind would say, You're SWEET LEMONING, girl.

If not because of my subjects in the institutions, I would have gone mad... like honestly.

If not also because of Mr. S. Eliakim's notes, I would have gone really, really mad. Thanks to my sweet benefactor!

Every time I was assigned to a new province, a note from this man would always arrive and I couldn't explain why it would always somehow soothe my longing heart. It was like a great magnetic force was pulling me to the sender of these notes.

He was always persistent asking about how I was doing, what kept me busy most of the time, who I was with, how was the agency that I was working with... and, always, I answered him with all honesty. I loved it when he asked things about me and I couldn't figure out why I was even loving it.

One time, I finally told him what was bothering me.

I wrote:

Dear Mr. Eliakim,

Thanks for the unexpected note I received from you today. I've been enjoying my stay in this agency. No, I'm never tired. I will never get tired of lending a hand to people who need help. I guess, I'm just like you.

Yeah, something has been bothering me. There's this guy who says he loves me and I don't think he's saying the truth. I'm afraid to trust him since he has already hurt me in the past. I don't think I will ever trust him again.