Chapter 25 - Temptress

~~~ CHAPTER 25 - TEMPTRESS ~~~

It was just on time when we arrived at the venue for the gala ball. It was held at the governor's mansion which was located at an estate outside the Sta. Fe town.

Not waiting for Nigel to open the door for me, as I already learned my lesson, I opened it myself after unfastening my seatbelt. He got out of the car and gave the key to a valet.

An usherette appeared and welcomed the both of us. When the usherette pivoted to start walking and lead us the way to the function hall, I stood for a while for I got confused whether to walk beside Nigel or trail behind him. It would depend on his mood, I guessed. However, he took me by surprise when he suddenly clasped my left hand with his right.

"Are you just going to stand there, my lovely princess?" That sarcastic tone again.

And he pulled me to walk beside him. Together, hand in hand, we treaded the pathway going to the function hall. I was elated with the fact that we were actually holding hands right now. He entertwined our fingers together and gripped my hand hard; it would be impossible for me to escape from him this very moment. I didn't want to escape though. I just wanted to be like this with him for the rest of my life.

"Your hand's cold," Nigel turned to me.

Cold? Did he also hear the rumbling of the butterflies in my stomach?

Well, his touch made me cold. I was getting very tensed.

"Your making me tense," I said in all honestly as we were about to enter the doorway of the hall. Several people were there, greeting and welcoming the newly arrived.

"What?" he asked. Obviously, he didn't hear what I said.

NIGELITO JOAQUIN SARMIENTO, you're making me tense. I wished to tell it to him once more. I just gave him a smile, wishing that I'd be able to control myself this very moment.

The hall wasn't that big, maybe just enough for fifty to eighty people. When we entered, there were already several guests in the hall and the program hadn't been started yet. Another lady ushered us to our table which was closest to the stage. Immediately, the governor and his wife spotted us and came to where we were. There were greetings, handshaking, kissing in the cheeks... It was only after that when I realized that Nigel and I were no longer holding hands. It made me sad... but I was quite relieved that I could make myself relaxed now from his touch.

Many guests arrived after us. Mostly were famous people in the province.

When we were seated, I saw someone by the main door. He was wearing a gray suit and had just entered the hall. Oh, how could I not recognize him? He was like the most persistent boy I had ever known in highschool. I couldn't believe that I would see him right here since we hadn't seen each other for quite some time already. The last time I saw him was during my debut party where I affronted him... Yeah, that was so bad of me. Anyway, as I examined him now, I could tell that, just like before, he was still stunning --- the mayor's son, my former suitor, Javier.

And, then, Javier's eyes searched for something or someone in the hall. Then, he saw me.

When we finally faced each other, though far away, I didn't know how to react whether to smile or scowl at him.

Well, I didn't do anything to acknowlege him. Instead, I took my eyes off of him. When I turned towards Nigel who was sitting beside me, I learned that the man was watching me all along and raising a brow at me. Then, his eyes travelled to Javier. He must have detected I had some sort of eye contact with Javier just a moment ago... or was I just overthinking?