Chapter 37 - Sorry

To @sheysimbajon, for being the best sidekick ever...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~ CHAPTER 37 - SORRY ~~~

Ouch! That hurt my palm like hell.

It kind of shocked me how I managed to strike his face that hard! The prickling pain in my palm remained for quite some time. Neither of us said a word.

I tried my best to gather my thoughts together as I placed my hurting palm on the bed surface.

"G-Get out of here," I said finally within my ragged breathing.

Nigel rubbed his reddened cheek with his palm while he averted his face from me.

"You have no right to do that to me," I firmly expressed as I sat up on the bed.

It took him several seconds before being able to reply. I was sure he didn't expect that. For sure, the proud Nigelito Joaquin didn't expect to be slapped for kissing a girl! His unsteady breathing also seemed to be in sync with mine until he faced me once again.

"I'm sor...ry..." he pronounced those words, so heavily in his breath, like everything depended on that statement.

Sorry?

For what?

For stealing me a kiss? Or for everything he did to me?

Nigel, the person who didn't believe in sorries, said sorry to me? God, this was the very first time ever.

"I'm sorry for everything, Althea," he said holding my forearms this time. I clenched my fists as he touched me. "I know you hate me very, very much. I know I've been really mean and vexatious to you since we've known each other, but I'll make it all up to you."

"Are you saying you're sorry? The great Nigel Joaquin Sarmiento is saying sorry? Whatever happens to believing that faults can't be scraped out by sorries?" I said sarcastically as I tried to get out from the bed.

Quickly, Nigel grabbed my body by his hands. "Keep still. You have a cut on your knee," he reminded me as his arms encircled my waistline. He was still sitting at my side. I immediately felt goosebumps all over my body when I felt his arms around me.

"Stop all of these, Nigel. Tell me, how can I believe that you're really sorry when you have instilled in my mind that sorries couldn't bring back lost things? Remember? You don't believe in saying sorry? So why are you saying it now?" I asked him as I tried to unlock his arms from my waist. Everything really felt so awkward. He was, however, determined not to let me go. He remained firm at my side, much more his arms around me.

"To let you know that I've changed, Althea. Please, tell me what I should do for you to accept me..." He pressed his forehead on mine, making our noses touch each other. His breathing was tickling my mouth.

Accept him?

For two years, I had never dreamed anymore of being with him again and I became successful accepting to myself that HE NEVER LOVED ME and I COULDN'T FORCE HIM TO LOVE ME.

He was heartless and compassionless.

So, why was he trying to win me now? Because of mom's health, perhaps? Because this was what mom wanted to happen?

"Enough, I don't want to hear anything from you anymore," I tried to sound forceful as much as possible.

"I know I was the biggest jerk on earth but I'll prove to you that I've changed. I'll prove to you. Just don't leave me again, please..." Nigel, at this time, held my jaw with his right hand and, not expecting it again, his lips planted a kiss on my forehead.